ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748268 Members
3661 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600/450 server will not power up

Kevin Welsh

Proliant 1600/450 server will not power up

My local cadet unit has been donated a proliant 1600 server for it's training activities. The server was working when it left it's donating location. On reloacting we are unable to get the server to power up. When the power button is pressed we get a brief flash of lights from HDDs Tape unit etc. then nothing. Every 30-40 secs we then get the same brief flash of lights. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with this server. It has 3 powerpacks on the back and they are all plugged in with fans spinning. We are lost for ideas. many thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Greg Adams_1
Occasional Contributor

My first impression would be to disconnect the power, open the case, and reseat every cable and connection including the memory. Transportation of any equipment would call for this.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Also reseat every board including the IO board and the processor/memory moard.
Ewan McDonell

Well, I don't know if this has sorted out Kevin Welsh's problem, but I can say that it sorted out the problem with my DL360's disks not spinning up on boot (ref. my post of yesterday about a new DL360). A more vigorous go over the power leads, scsi cables and back plane to ensure that they are all seated correctly sorted out my problem nicely. Thanks for the fix - albeit indirectly.

Regards,

Ewan
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's possible that a cable may have fallen off the small interconnect backplane which the I/O cage and processor cage slot into.
To allow you to check this and have some space, remove the side cover and release the two security screws which hold the processor and I/O module cages in place (if present) to release them with their handles at the rear. Have a good look around the the small backplane to check that nothing has fallen off. There is a cable which looks a bit like a CD-Rom audio cable here which has a habit of falling off when adding devices in the storage area.
The symptoms may also suggest a power overload when the lights are flashing. Disconnect the power cables going to the CD-ROM, Floppy disk, Tape drive (if present) and the SCSI drive cage at the bottom (or left side on a rack-mount model). It won't be the first time that a CD-ROM has brought down a server.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Kevin Welsh

Hey guys - many thanks for the good suggestions and tips that you all sent my way. I think that the problem may be a bit more ominous than a loose cable or faulty peripheral. I did exactly as you all suggested and unplugged and replugged every device and cable I could find. Nothing made any difference. It just stayed dead with the lights briefly flickering every 30-40 secs. Then after about 6-7 hours the server just powered up. I started to set up the array and floppy and CD worked well. At one stage I had to recycle power and you guessed it back to the 30-40 sec flickers. At this rate I might get the server set up in six months! Looks like it might be something that I cannot fix myself and unless any of you wonderful people out there can suggest anything further the cadet unit will have to look out for a reasonable techo to help us out. Anyone know of one in the Melbourne Australia area. Many thanks in advance. Kevin
Alan Derrick

I had exactly the same problem and symptoms when I moved my 1600 machine. The drive lights blinked briefly and the fan on the power supply tried to turn. In my case, I believe the problem is that they processor cage seemed to work itself loose and must be fully inserted into the bay. Look and see if one of the ribbon cables is keeping it from going in all the way. Once you get everything stable (and don't move the machine again), it should be OK. Even now, however, it sometimes takes 10 seconds or so to get any reaction from the machine after powering it on.