ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753814 Members
7889 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 Array Controller Failure

Jayson Hickle

Proliant 1600 Array Controller Failure

Ok, just went to boot this system. get this error on the post screen.

1783 - Compaq Array Controller Failure
PDRI (something, can't remember the rest of this line, sorry)

It's a Proliant 1600 6/350. I dont know for sure but Im thinking that maybe the configuration of this device is corrupt? Also, I am new to Proliants. I really don't know where to start to fix this issue.

Don't know if you'll need it but here is the serial number.
D8458WR10867
5 REPLIES 5
RGP
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 1600 Array Controller Failure

Hi Jayson Hickle,
Please upgrade the Smart Array Controller Firmware. You may download the drivers from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html.
Rgds,
Roy
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jayson,

Even if the Smart Array controller is faulty, which it sounds like, the data on your disks should be OK as the configuration is held there. A 1783 error is often unrecoverable however you could try moving the array controller to another PCI slot just to prove it isn't a system issue.

You will also need to determine the type of Array Controller you have in the system if you need to replace it. When the system goes through its POST you should see a banner stating "Compaq Smart Array XXXX " where XXXX is the controller model.

For the age of your system this is likely to be a Smart 2P, Smart 2DH or Smart Array 3200 controller. Another easy way to check is to locate the sticky label on the controller which normally states "Replace with Compaq spare part # YYYYYY-ZZZ" The Spare part will determine the model of controller if you don't get a banner during POST to identify it.

If you can try shifting it and provide the above controller details it shouldn't be too difficult to get a replacement. If it is the controller which is faulty it simply gets replaced and the configuration is then picked up from the disks by the new controller and all should be OK.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Marco_Guillen
Occasional Advisor

In this case you have these options to execute:

1-If it is a PCI controller reseat it
2-Upgrade the firmware of the controller
3-Clear the NVRAM
4-Run an ADU using the SmartStart CD and take a look at the last failure reason
5-Replace the controller using the spare part number it has.(XXXXXX-001 or 002)

Hope this will help you
Ask me, and trust my answers lol
Jayson Hickle

Ok, tried the first suggestion. I must have just bumped the card when I tossed in a video card because all I had to do was reseat it. Working great now, very pleased with this system. Was somewhat intimidated when I first looked at all the differant downloads. I don't know what I'm doing at all because the system was given to me with no cd's no doc's. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
Marco_Guillen
Occasional Advisor

Im really happy that the reseat helped you.
Ask me, and trust my answers lol