HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 1600 Boot Problems

Brian McAulay
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 1600 Boot Problems

Hi,

I have a Comapq Proliant 1600, SMART-2 RAID card with 2 * 9.1Gb hotpluggable HDD's assigned to RAID 0+1 Mirror, a PCI USB card and a SCSI 12/24 DAT.

I configured it all using SmartStart 5.4 and its great, I use it as a web and database server, by the way the processor is single PII 400.

However, I have booting problems when starting from cold. I can shut down/restart till my heart's content with no problems.

If the power gets cut or I need to switch it off for whatever reason, when I turn it back on it halts in POST with no beeps and no video and will happily sit there in that state for hours!

The only way back up is to flick the little switch on the motherboard to clear non volatile memory, then I need to re-configure with SmartStart all over again or else it stops booting at the point where windows should be started [its Win2k Pro].

Any ideas where I should be looking for the definitive answer/problem/solution?

Yesterday I had a power outage and I need this server up and running to be able to access it remotely for my web development work. Under normal circumstances I can remotely re-boot using VNC as long as the power is not shut off.

When the power came back up the server started, or at least attempeted to start, but when I got home and looked at it, it had halted in POST as described above.

Hope some of you can help with this one.
2 REPLIES
이준호_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Proliant 1600 Boot Problems

hi

what doing your last action?

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 Boot Problems

Hello Brian,
The best way to troubleshoot this problem would be to bring it down to minimum configuration. Which means remove the USB controller you have installed or any other third party HW should be out. Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS as well. Once that's done then observe the server and see if it acts the same way. If it behaves the same way it could be the weak CMOS battery which I suspect is not able to hold the configuration settings and you would need to attach the extra battery since the one you have is soldered on the system board. Please let me know as to how you make out.

Regards,