ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748181 Members
3991 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 - Dual CPU but...one not working in windows.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Proliant 1600 - Dual CPU but...one not working in windows.

Hi.
I have a Proliant 1600 with 2 PII450 cpu. The server recognize both at post and with the diagnostic disk. All look fine but Win2k use only one. The second look disapeared!

Any one know how to configure Win2k Pro to recognise the second CPU?

I have found ├а link on Micro.. that explain how to do it, but when I restarted the server, it hang with a blinking cursor at top left afther post. Yea I was having a backup HD for the test! ;)

In the web site, they where saying this if i pick the wrong config... but is there a good config? Should I migrate to WinXP? Should I forget it? Should i cry... should i thow it by the windows... or making a seat for flower pot!!! JK

Hehe! I am not that despaired...
Mar
8 REPLIES 8
Devinder Gill

It might be worth using Smartstart to configure the System partition so it is set for Windows 2000 if you use the Manual Setup option. Alternatively you can alter this manually from the F10 prompt. You should then be able to uipgrade the HAL as normal

Are you sure you want to be using W2K Pro or even XP on a Proliant Server - bit big for my desk! :-)

Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

OK, gona try this again...Maybe i will catch somthing else...I dont know what is HAL but i think i gona know soon!

Yup, i am using this for a desktop! Recycled from my job. This is why i try to get the second cpu working. Only one 450mhz is a bit slow.

And it help heating the house in the winter! lol

Marc
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

In order to add the MPS HAL for Windows 2000 it'll require going into device manager, expand the computer register and you will most likely see something along the lines of "MPS Uniprocessor PC". Bring up the properties for this, go to the driver tab, select to update the driver and select the option to "display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver". When the list comes up select the Multiprocessor version of whatever was listed before bringing up the properties. So if it currently lists "MPS Uniprocessor PC", then select "MPS Multiprocessor PC".
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Here the link I was saying at first tell.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234558

What is ACPI Computer?

The computer in my hardware is Standard PC.

Will look this weekend to do the test and come back this monday. Tx for help!

Marc
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Before updating the HAL, I would recommend rebooting the server and go into the system configuration utility. Press ctrl A at the main menu, select configure hardware, then review or modify, finally view and edit details. Approximately 1/3 of the way down, under "Advanced Features", verify the APIC mode is set to "full table".
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Ah ok. I had already try to change the computer for a Mutiprocessor with APIC mode cause i didnt know witch mode to take. And... windows stop to work. Now if i go to this part to change the config. Maybe it will work again...
Gona try that this noon.

Tx again
Will give point afther trying this!

marc
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hey that's work!

I have changed the config in the BIOS and now its working. Both CPU are enable in Win2k! It's not realy faster with 2 CPU, this is better then 1!

Big tx for help.
saigo999

sorry to highjack a thread, bu I am a newbie that got his hands on a compaq proliant 4500...and would like to know what can be done to upgrade it...this will be for a home environement and testing for clusters ...later date.

anyways here is the link for this...
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=884028

hopefully you can help me?

If not thanks anyways.
have a great day all..