3517 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 HDD Change-out

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Husko

Proliant 1600 HDD Change-out

Previous setup: 5 Drives total, two 4.3GB set to RAID-1, Three 9.1GB set to RAID-5.

All drives were changed out one at a time...
Current Setup: 5 Drives total, two 9.1GB set to RAID-1, Three 18.3 set to RAID-5.

The problem I am having is that the size of the drive is still reflected as the original size of the previous setup. As I do not want to re-format and re-install my OS and everything else, is there a way to expand the drive size to recognize the true hardware installed?
Document it!!
7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Have you done anything in the Array Configuration Utility yet?

The OS will never recognize the new space on these drives until you create either a new logical drive or extend the existing one.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
William Husko

Yes,
In using the utility:
Drive Veiw - Logical:
Array A
8673 MB, RADI 1+0, Logical Dirve 1

Drive View - Physical:
Array A
9.1GB, Port 1, ID 0
9.1GB, Port 1, ID 1

Trying to extend the logical drive results in a "Not enough space on the array to extend this drive"

Trying to expand the array would not resolve do to the two 9.1GB drives are already assigned to the array.

I am addressing Array A only as this is my main issue as the OS resideds on thei Array. What am I missing??
Document it!!
William Husko

I did find in the OS - XPP that in the properties for the Disk 0 that the drive capacity is listed at 8670MB and that 4586MB is Unallocated...
Document it!!
William Husko

How do I allocate the unused space?
Document it!!
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi william:

for the unallocated space;

you can use windows disk management software, or 3rd party partioning software.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 309000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
e4services
Honored Contributor

William,
If you changed all the drives out at the same time, then you did not wish to keep the data on the original arrays. Correct?
If that is the case, then you can simple clear the old configuration and create a new.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
William Husko

OK, I think I got it. Tried to use the Microsoft Way and did not find the option to append unallocated space to an existing partition so...Utilized Partion Magic-8 by the now Symantec acquired Power Qwest (I know it's been awhile). Was able to append the unallocated space to partition. Reboot to find data and OS intact.
In the specs for PM-8 it states it's inability to work with RAID structured drive systems. I am running Raid 1+0 on the OS drives and assume this is why it worked without a problem. The other Array is RAID 5 and I have not attempted to mess with it for my lack of knowledge in this matter and the strong desire not to waist any more time with this project.

Thank you for your help and if I missed something please reply..

WPH
Document it!!