ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753322 Members
6310 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 - Hangs starting System Config Floppy

cory_smith

Proliant 1600 - Hangs starting System Config Floppy

I erased my system configuration with the utility on the Smart Start CD, and since then, I can no longer boot from the CD-ROM. So, I downloaded the latest version of the System Configuration Bootable Floppy. When I boot off of the floppy, it gets to the "Starting MS-DOS" screen and hangs. The activity light on the floppy stays lit, but doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

Any ideas? Thanks very much, in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Cory... this may sound strange, but

Insert the SmartStart CD into the CD-ROM Drive and leave it there a few minutes... It should boot up... be patient and give it a while...

When it boots up, finally, you should be able to run the SCU from the CD and get started installing the server.

Let me know if this does not work for you? -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
cory_smith

John, Thanks for responding to my question. Here is what is happening: I put the Smart Start CD in, and booted the server. It went through all the POST stuff including 172 errors from my deleted config. I got to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top right corner. I left it like this for an hour and 15. The floppy light stayed lit solid the whole time. It never looked like it was attempting to read from the CD-ROM. There was no floppy in the drive.

Also, my SmartStart CD is at version 4.22. My boss mentioned that the CD might be too old, and that I can download a newer one (version 7?). I haven't been able to find it on HP's website.

Thanks for your help, so far.
cory_smith

FYI - The problem was in some of the boards that were installed. After I removed the boards in the PCI slots, I was able to boot to the config utility. I ran the automaitc configuration, and saved the settings. From there I was able to re-install the boards, and boot to the config utility again to add the boards that I had temporarily removed.