ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752729 Members
5549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Hard Drive Question

Heather_25

Proliant 1600 Hard Drive Question

So I have a Proliant 1600 with 3 4.3GB Hard Drives. I believe it to be setup in a RAID5 because that's what the Compaq Configuration Utility thingy (technical word) tells me. The middle drive goes out occasionally. If I turn the server off, take the hard drive out, put it pack in and turn it on, the server tells me that the new hard drive needs recovery. It will go through that process, but within several hours, the amber light is back on.

So I buy a new hard drive and everyone tells me - you should just be able to put it in, you'll probably get the same message and all will be good - BUT when I put the new hard drive it, the lights come up like normal and all 3 hard drives are tested then after the test, it immediately goes to an amber light and the server tells me that SCSI 1 ID 1 needs to be replaced.

This is the second hard drive I ordered on the hope that the first one was bad???

Please please help me! What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much!!!!

Heather
5 REPLIES 5
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi Heather,

Please apply the M&P patch and try to rebuid the hard disk.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10468.html

Regards,
George
Heather_25

I did the update and now both hard drives come on with an amber light. Could it not be the drives at all?? Or am I completely missing a step of the hard drive installation?

Thanks!
Heather
Sumesh Pahuja
Occasional Advisor

Hello

Which Smart Array Controller is this.Is the Amber LED now on two of the drives out of the three.It could be because of the Array controller malfunctioning.Ensure latest firmware on the controller.

SP
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Which smart array controller and OS you have.

Please update the latest firmware and driver for the controller.

According to controller select and download both from the below given weblink :-
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/index.html

Regards,
George
Heather_25

I think the Smart Array version is 2SL. Am I looking at the right thing?

Just so I'm clear - both the new hard drive and the old hard drive (the one I'm trying to replace) now have amber LED's on boot up. The other 2 drives are working fine. Before, I could put the old hard drive back in and it would ask me if I wanted to recover data and I would say yes and that hard drive would work for a day or two before the LED would come on again. Now it comes on on boot.

Thanks for the help!!!