1748034 Members
5427 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Memory Capacity

Russell Edwards

Proliant 1600 Memory Capacity

Please can you help?

I understand from the documentation posted on the HP website that the Compaq Proliant 1600 has a memory capacity of 1Gb in a configuration of 4 x 256Mb.

Is it possible, with perhaps a newer BIOS version, that the server will support 512Mb modules and possibly even more memory than 1Gb?

My angle on this is that I have 2 x 512Mb sticks available and unfortunately do not have any budget to go out and buy 4 x 256Mb.

Many thanks for you assistance.

Russ
5 REPLIES 5
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Russ,

What version of the 1600 are you looking at. To be more definitive, what processors are installed. There are different limitations to the different servers.

Derek
Russell Edwards

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your reply.

The server in question is a Proliant 1600 6/400 with a single PII 400Mhz processor. The BIOS is currently running at version P08.

Much appreciated,

Russ
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Hi Russ,

Sorry I am afraid to say that all the information I have shows that 256MB is the largest DIMM supported in that model. I have checked the Quick Reference Guide and the Maintenance and Service Guide.

P08 is the family type not the version. The version is the date. You could look at updating this, but I believe it may well be the machines limitations.

Sorry it's not better news.

Derek
Russell Edwards

Hi Derek,

Oh well, not to worry. Many thanx for your help.

I guess I'll just have to go beg my director for more cash.

Wish me luck!

Russ
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Russ,

Good luck, I know that task can somtimes be difficult.

Derek