ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752672 Members
5845 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 (P08) 500 Video Problems & PCI.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 1600 (P08) 500 Video Problems & PCI.

I have a Proliant 1600 (P08) 500 computer. It has 6 PCI/ISA slot in the back of the machine. Two of my PCI cards (4 Port USB & Sound Blaster) work perfectly. The third card a Radeon 9200 PCI card is not recognized by the SCU. One suggestion was to purchase Smart Start 5.5 and then update the SCU. I've done this and still the card is not recognized. The BIOS is up-to-date and I'm out of options. Does anyone have any ideas or is there something special I should be doing while I'm running the Smart Start 5.5.

Just to note I'm trying to have a dual video display in the system. The cirrus integrate port and the second video output would be the Radeon 9200 PCI.

8 REPLIES 8
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 (P08) 500 Video Problems & PCI.

Hello Scott,
Have you thought of removing all the PCI card and just configure the Video card via SCU. Here is what you should try. Remove all the Cards. Run SCU. Install the RADEON and run SCU. Run SCU everytime you install a card in the system. Please let me know if you could overcome the bottleneck.

Regards,
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Sunil

I did as you said. I removed all of the PCI cards except for the SCSI card (which is in slot 4). When I removed the SCSI card the system could not find my hard-disk and wouldn't boot-up. So, I run SCU the system can back with the message that the two previous PCI boards have been removed. I then shutdown, I placed the Radeon PCI card in slot one and ran SCU. SCU when through the Plug and play config but still did not recognize the PCI card. I then did another shutdown and tried the PCI card in slot 6 (because this slot had no ISA slot), ran the SCU and still it will not recognize my card.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Scott,
I have a similar configuration to your PL1600. I have Sound Blaster Live as well as RADEON 7000 PCI. I am going to install a dual port NIC PCI card in it to see if it does change anything. How about the support pack on the system?? Is it uptodate as well. I am running 6.40 and do plan on upgrading it to 7.0 to see if it works flawlessly or not.

Regards,
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Sunil

First I'd like to say thanks for your help. Now my story.

I was trying to ensure my Support Pack was 6.4. I downloaded both 6.4 and 7.0. I tried to install them both but the component "PCI hot-plug" seems not to be installed, is there something that I'm doing wrong. At least I don├Г┬в├В ├В t think the hot-plug component updated because it does indicate that it is setup in the Setup program (see attached). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem I thought I would just mention it.

After I had 6.4 and 7.0 installed I tried to configure just the PCI video card after each install - still it did not work. I also move the SCSI control (which is a SCSI Array 221 Controller) to port 1, still no success. I then added the other PCI cards (audio and USB) and they work find. But, the video card still is not recognized. Now I figure the only difference between your machine and mine is that yours is running Radeon 7000 where as I'm running Radeon 9
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Sunil

I copied this off the ATI site. It's another card but could this be part of the problem.

From ATI support:

PCI devices not detected/initialized after installing an ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV
On some systems, after installing an ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV, some PCI devices may not be detected/initialized by the system.

This issue is currently believed to be related to the way resources are being assigned to the devices by the system. The FireWire ports of the ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV make use of the PCI bus. When initialized at boot this will generally cause a reassignment of the PCI bus settings for other PCI devices. Some systems may have difficulty reassigning these resources and will end up not detecting the PCI devices.

In some instances an updated system BIOS or altering the Plug & Play (PnP) settings in the BIOS may help to correct this issue. Please check the following:
Ensure that you have the latest system BIOS for your motherboard.
Toggle the PnP aware OS option in your system BIOS from yes to no.
Try disabling all video shadow and cache options in your system BIOS.
Ensure that your IRQ assignments are set to Auto and not manual.
You may need to disable the FireWire ports on the ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV to try some of these suggestions.

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Scott,
In your case the BIOS is uptodate already. I don't have access to a similar PCI video card otherwise I would have loved to mess around with my server for your sake. I did a fresh install on my server which went flawlessly. I am not saying that you should be doing the same thing but you have to draw the bottom line. I am going to install a dual port NIC this weekend and let you know more next week as to how did the installation went. What I did to set up mine was to load the OS with a SA3200 and did not select/modify the defaults(Used SmartStart 5.50). I installed the PCI video after and then the sound blaster. I would not be surprised if there is a resource conflict of a kind. Have you thought of trying another Video card since I have come across some ATI video cards which are very tempramental. If all else fails I would surely borrow a PCI card from a different manufacturer or a different video card from ATI. Please let me know if I could be of any assistance to you.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Scott,
Please drop me a line with your contact information at sunil.jerath@hp.com and I shall contact you.

Regards,
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Sunil

I'm finally ready to close this issue. Before I reinstalled the OS I was going to try another Video card. So, I purchased another Radeon 7500 PCI. At first, the card did not work in slot 6 but then it did work in slot 2. So, I got to thinking and slot 2 was the only slot I didn't try to put the Radeon 9200. I purchased another Radeon 9200 PCI card and tried to install it in slot 2, it failed. I then reinstall the 7500 back into slot 2 and it worked like a charm. So, either I have a quirky computer or the Proliant 1600 does not like the Radeon 9200SE PCI card.

Anyway, the video works, things are great in Canada and have a great day.

Thanks again

Scott