1753487 Members
4087 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Problem

Paul Codd
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 1600 Problem

When the server is powered on it runs the memory check and initialises the processor successfully then hangs. any ideas !!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

When the proc initializes ((sp) you can tell I'm American) is it described correctly or does it say something similar to unknown? What else is installed in the server? Any array controllers? Did you try pulling this out? This would normally be the next thing which inits.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Keith Taylor_4

The controller card is a smart array 221, we have taken this out, to no avail, and replaced it with another, the same happens.
The first time this was seen the third disk in the raid 5 light was amber, replaced this disk with the exact disk again, lights all now green, but still hangs after processor initiaized..cache etc..
Tried on internal scsi, same happens.
Is there a way of doing self test diagnostics on boot, as no disks are being accessed
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Troubleshooting a PL1600 that will not boot can be a long process.

You want to bring the server down to base configuration - remove all the PCI cards, all but one stick of memory, a second processor and PPM if you have two, disconnect the power connectors to the cd-rom, floppy and hard drive cage.

If the server posts with video at base config, add one component back at a time until you've identified the faulty one.

If the server doesn't post at base config, it's one of the main components - processor board, system I/O board, mini-backplane, processor power module, or processor - that's faulty.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Paul Codd
Occasional Visitor

Memory check OK
Compaq system bios - E34 (06/28/1999)
Processor Initialized at 300 MHz with 512kbyte Cache.
Hangs at this point
Have removed all pci cards taken all the disks out and reseated the memory still the same.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Did the server do exactly the same thing after the 221 was pulled out? The machine never gets to the point when it scans for scsi devices? If this is the case, then I would say there's either a processor problem or a processor board.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mike Stevens_1
Advisor

Try pulling the Processor cage and the I/O cage out slightly and reseating them in the backplane. This will sometimes give you this type of problem. I have 6 Proliant 1600's and have had thsi problem with the 1600 6/300 models. The 300MHz models seem more apt to have this problem than the 350MHz and above models. Give it a try and let us know.

Good Luck,

Mike Stevens
Chris Congdon_1
Occasional Advisor

Does your system have one or two processors? Do you have a terminator installed in the second slot if it's a single proc system?