1752751 Members
5238 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 Recovery Server Option

Juan J. Segura
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 Recovery Server Option

I am trying to run a Proliant 1600 with RSO enabled. I can manually swith the drives to the Recovery Server. In the documentation it states that I need to install a "Standby Recovery Server Driver", but I can't seem to find it.

I am running Windows 2000 Server.

Does anyone know where I can get this driver?

Thanks.

Juan
5 REPLIES 5
Gargouri
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant 1600 Recovery Server Option

hello
you can find "Standby Recovery Server" in NTSSD for Windows NT bat is not supported in Windows 2000
Juan J. Segura
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. I have installed Windows NT 4.0 and the Standby Server COnfiguration shows as Ready. My problem now is that if I shutdown the primary, the Standby doesn't switch automatically. I can do it manually.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Juan
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

If you perform a standard shutdown of the primary server (from the OS), RSO is designed so that it will not fail over to the standby server. It should work if you power off the primary server without doing a proper shutdown (just hit the power switch).

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Juan J. Segura
Occasional Contributor

Doug,

Thanks. That did the trick. I'm assuming if the machine gets a BSOD it should failover, right?

Juan
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Yes, a BSOD should cause a failover. The RSO driver/srvice that runs on the active server is responsible for sending a primitive heartbeat to the standby server. If you do a proper shutdown of the active server, the service sends a message to the standby that says "hey, everything's OK, I'm doing this on purpose, so don't do a failover."

So failovers occur any time something prevents the RSO service from sending the heartbeat. So this would be things like unexpected loss of power or BSOD. However, if your application stop responding, there will most likely not be a failover because the app failure will probably not cause the driver to stop the heartbeat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo