1752594 Members
3162 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Setup Issue / disk issue

Alexander Herrmann
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 Setup Issue / disk issue

I've bought a Proliant 1600 (2x PIII 600) with two 18GB SCSI disks. My problem is to install an OS on the server.

During boot up memory and CPUs a recongnized, but "no scsi device" found. Not even the lights on the disks are on (they flash if I remove and insert the disks).

Does anyone knows what the error could be? I don't have a smart start CD.
3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Are these drives connected to the SCSI controller or an array controller?
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Alexander Herrmann
Occasional Contributor

The drives are connected to the array controller - as far as I know
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alexander,

The "No SCSI Devices Found" message is normal if you don't have anything connected to either of the two SCSI ports on the Interconnect backplane (The small module where the processor cage and the I/O cage slot into). These ports are normally only used for SCSI tape drives (DAT or DLT) when installed into the server if you have an Array Controller installed for disk access.

Prior to this message you should have got a Smart Array banner (with the controller model type) which probably stated that you had 0 logical drives configured. This means that you have to configure the Array Controller before the operating system can "see" the disks.

This is all done with the Compaq SmartStart CD which will build the system from scratch and set it up ready for the Operating System install. Netware 3,4,5 Windows NT4, 2000 etc. If you wish to install an operating system which is not supported on the Proliant 1600, such as Windows 2003 then you can choose to perform a manual installation rather than the default "Assisted" installation for supported packages.

The last supported version of Smartstart for the Proliant 1600 is 5.50.

If you can't get hold of a Smartstart CD then you can perform a system configuration and run the Array Configuration Utility to create you logical drives.

System Erase Utility (Start with this)

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

System Configuration Utility - SCU (4 floppy disks)

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Array Configuration Utility -ACU

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp6001-6500/SP6263.EXE

Unfortunately this is an old version and only supports the older Smart 2 array controllers (depends on what you have installed, so it might be OK). Someone else may be able to point to a newer version.

Ideally get a hold of a Smartstart CD and install from that.

I hope this helps.

Brian