108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 question

Is there any way to strip my 4 SCSI drives so that I get to use all 4 drives instead of loosing one to fault tollerance? The server isn't being used for anything important, and since I plan to make frequent backups onto a DVD-R, I'm not worried about loosing more than a day.

Also, does anyone know where I can download the SmartStart 5.50 CD? I'll even be content with a CD-R version of it if someone does not want to part with theirs. Is there a place I can download a bootable diskette version of the ACU?

Thanks.
Roads go ever on and on under cloud and under star, yet feet that wandering have gone turn at last to home afar. --JRR Tolkien
2 REPLIES 2
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 question

Hi Jonathan:

You can use the 4 drives as raid 0; you will have to migrate to raid 0 ; from raid 5 or raid one. this could be done through the ACU under windows.

- Cannot download Smart strat 5.50 as iso;
- HP only have available 7.10 and you cannot boot up the server with that one.

there is a diskett version of the ACU ; but it is for Smart array 2/DH and down and dosenot work on SA3200. (SP6263.exe)

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp

Best Regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jonathan Musk
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 question

Thanks!

I am in the process of converting the drives.

Another question. What is meant by Strip size and how much difference does it make for having it on 8kb verses 128kb?

Can the SmartArray be removed and installed with the SCSI drives into a PC should I choose to scrap the PL1600 upgrade project? I would hate to see 4 18.2gb 10k rpm SCSI HDDs go to waste. I am assuming I would have to remove the HDDs from their hot-swap sleeves.

Thanks
Roads go ever on and on under cloud and under star, yet feet that wandering have gone turn at last to home afar. --JRR Tolkien