New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 remove drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

Proliant 1600 SmartArray 3200 remove drives

Hi,

At work I have an array that consists of 3 disks in RAID5 mode, and 3 disks in RAID1+0 mode. So I have 2 logical drives in one array that each consist of 3 disks. The first logical drive is RAID5 and the second logical drive is RAID1+0.

What I want to do is remove Logical drive 2 with the array configuration utility, but as I try that, I get the feeling that the complete array is going to be removed. Am I right? If not how can I remove logical drive 2 from the array without the loss of data on logical drive 1?

Thanks in advance

20 REPLIES 20
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Q)
What I want to do is remove Logical drive 2 with the array configuration utility, but as I try that, I get the feeling that the complete array is going to be removed. Am I right? If not how can I remove logical drive 2 from the array without the loss of data on logical drive 1?

A)
Accourding to above details :
On second array there is 1 logal drive and you want to remove that local drive 2 from 2 array.
If on raid there is no logical driver then where will be data.

Or can you explain it again might be i am not getting it.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

I think I understand. Normally you put a disk into separate arrays, but you've put two disks into the same array.

As long as you use smartstart 5.xx to do this then it'll work. Boot into smartstart and enter the array configuration utility.

Highlight the disk you want to delete, and on the right you'll notice three groups of buttons, one deletes the array (don't click that!), one deletes the logical drive, this one you want to click, and the other one I can't remember!

The advantage of doing it in SmartStart is that it can visually show you what you've done *BEFORE* you save your changes. So take a note of the ID's you should have free afterwards and delete the drive. If the ID's match up to those you want free, click on Controller and save changes, if you've made a mistake or it looks wrong, quite the Array Configuration Utility and DO NOT save your changes, that way everythin will stay as it was.

I hope that helps!

Mike
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

Michael, you understood me right! This afternoon i`m going to try to remove the 2nd logical drive from the Array with the SmartStart CD. I wanted to try that before, but I couldn't find an old version of the SmartStart CD. I`ll let you know if it worked.

Tx for your help!
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

I've tried it and it didn't work :(.

Both logical drives will be removed when I try Michael's given solution. Any other proposals?

Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Bram,

If you delete one logical drive it will not affect the second logical drive.
Highlight the logical drive (not array) that you want to delete and choose delete logical drive from the Drive menu in the menu bar (screen shot attached).

I do not understand one thing; do you have Logical Drive 1 and Logical Drive 2 in Array A or Logical Drive 1 in Array A and Logical Drive 2 in Array B. You mentioned that one of your logical drives is a RAID 1+0 with 3 drives - RAID 1+0 needs even number of drives; so i was wondering how your array in configured?
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

Let me clear out some things first :D.

The configuration is as follows:

Array A
- Logical Drive (1) - 3x 36.4GB - RAID 5
- Logical Drive (2) - 3x 72.8GB - RAID 5 (was RAID 1+0, but i've changed that this morning to try somthing)

Anyway, if I follow your instructions like in the screenshot, then the complete Array will be destroyed. Weird, but true.

Tx for trying to help!
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

Anyway I can remove the 2nd logical drive, but the question is how can I remove the 3 disks from that Array. When I try that, the complete Array will be destroyed.

Whew, I hope that it is clear now after all those explanations from me....sorry.

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

If the array gets destroyed, it's because you have selected the array, make sure that the logical volume is highlighted, then the delete volume button should be available, then it should work!
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

I see, once you've deleted the actual volume (NOT the array), you should notice that on your storage shelf that those three disks no longer have a disk light on them. They are now safe to remove physically from your array.