ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752675 Members
5847 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant 1600 / SuSE hangs on reboot

Mark Burdick

Proliant 1600 / SuSE hangs on reboot

I have a Proliant 1600 with the latest BIOS, a Smart-2 Controller, and an Intel PRO 100 NIC (onboard NIC is disabled). All of the hardware is seemingly fine. The box was giving me troubles on bootup, so I took it off of the KVM it was on. That seems to have remedied that issue.

Now, however, I still have the problem where the machine doesn't reboot on an "init 6". It shuts down and umounts all of the filesystems just fine. It starts the reboot process and the CD-ROM "groans" once or twice during the probing phase, and that's it.

There is no response from the keyboard (no NumLock or CapsLock light changes) and the only way to get the system to boot is to cold boot it.

Any thoughts?
1 REPLY 1
Mark Burdick

Re: Proliant 1600 / SuSE hangs on reboot

Additional information:

I disconnected the SCSI CD-ROM drive from the SCSI bus, and the problem has gone away. I suspect that something isn't being properly [un]initialized on the bus, and it's causing the system to lock up on reboot.

Since I will be remotely managing the server in a lights-out DC, I don't much care if the cd-rom is disconnected. However, if anyone knows of a way that I can actually solve the problem, I would appreciate your feedback.