ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753813 Members
7884 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 / Win2000 Server memory upgrade

Chad Kobylka

Proliant 1600 / Win2000 Server memory upgrade

I recently attempted to upgrade the memory in a Proliant 1600 running Windows 2000 Server. Removed 2 - 64 MB sticks of memory, left one 128 and installed 2 new 256 sticks, all Compaq approved. After the install, Windows would hang approx. 1/2 way through the boot process, seems to hang just after poling the SCSI or IDE bus. This also has a parallel install on Windows 2000 Pro, which boots perfectly fine. Reinstall the original memory and Server (and Pro) work perfect again (or as perfect as Windows gets). Is this a quirk of the 1600 or a Windows thing...?
5 REPLIES 5
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 / Win2000 Server memory upgrade

OK. When you say "Compaq approved", does this mean it's Compaq memory?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mike Stevens_1
Advisor

The memory that you have installed is probably bad. I would try installing one of the 2 sticks of 256Meg sticks by itself and remove the 128 meg stick that was the original out. See if the system will boot up and run properly with just one stick of 256. If not try the other stick and see if you have any luck. I would still be willing to bet that the memory is bad and needs to be replaced.

Let us know,

Mike Stevens
Chad Kobylka

The memory was/is a mix of Compaq memory and Kingston, which is very tried and true. I'm going to try the new sticks separately in the near future when I get a chance. Unfortunately, the server is in use so I can't just take it down whenever. I will let you know, I was confused because why does it work fine in Pro, not Server, on the same machine??? Is Server that picky or is Pro just that poor?
nitin_12
Occasional Contributor

Have you checked memory through compaq diagnose utility inbuilt.? There are so many option in compaq dianostic like computer test, component test etc
nitin
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't recommend running diagnostics on non compaq memory, since it may come up with inconsistent results.

Also there is no such thing as "Compaq approved" memory that is sold or manufactured by viking, kingston, etc. Compaq approved means it's compaq memory.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..