1748177 Members
4241 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Won't Boot with PCI Video Card

David Palmer_5

Proliant 1600 Won't Boot with PCI Video Card

Hi,

I can't figure this one out at all. My Proliant 1600 (Dual PII 300) runs normally, but when I add a PCI video card (ATI Rage or RADEON 7000) the system won't recognize the SCSI array and will only boot from floppy. Different cards, slots, disabling the onboard video, upgrading the ROM firmware, nothing seems to make a difference.

Thoughts???

Thanks!
Dave Palmer
8 REPLIES 8
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

David:

When you add a PCI card (any card) to the system, you need to re-run and save the new System Configuration. You can do this from either the SmartStart CD, your System Partiton (F10) or from the diskette version:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

G'luck! -john

p.s., that Radeon card may be more card than the system can handle. I have had great luck with old PCI Trident and S3 chipset based video cards (low power).
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
David Palmer_5

Okay, thanks for this ... one problem is that I can't get to system config -- for some reason the '1600 goes directly from the F10-to-enter-config to the press-any-key-to-boot screen. No amount of F10 will get it to "catch" on the system config screen, BUT, now that you mention it, I might be able to get to sys config with floppies. I'll try it out.

Both the Radeon7000 and a simple RagePro card exhibit the exact same behavior -- you could be right, maybe the system just can't handle more than 1024x768x256 video. Haha, all I wanted was to have clear colors at higher res, but it's turned into a real lesson in card installation!

Thanks again,

Dave
David Palmer_5

Quick Update: when I run the System Config Utility from floppies, the utility hangs in the Configure Hardware section when it gets to "Loading Plug and Play Boards" (but runs normally when the video card is removed).

The P1600 might just not be capable of handling a new video card...

Dave
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Well... You can only stuff so much of a Big Block Chevy into a VW Beetle! If you have an old workstation video card, give that a try.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which slot is the video adapter installed in? In order to get it to work in this machine it has to be in pci bus 1 (slots 4-6).

I have Nvidia TNT2 pci adapter installed in slot 4 and it works fine.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
David Palmer_5

Okay, well I tried slot #6, and ended up with the same symptoms (POST okay, but not booting to system disk; then within System Config, hanging on Plug-N-Play detect). Hmmm...

You all could be right that the card (rated for Celeron 300 or above) is just too much for the PII/300 Proliant 1600.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be glad to try them ... in the meantime, I'll try to find an older video card somewhere so I can rule out system / pci bus problems.

Dave
Barry Watt

I realize this is resurrecting a very old post, but I believe I found the answer and wanted to share it for anyone else searching.

I have a Proliant 1600 P08 and tried to put in an ATI Radeon 7000 also. It acted like the ATI was interfering with the Smart-221 controller and it wasn't recognizing the RAID or booting. The solution was to update the BIOS from the files on the website. I previously had the 1999 BIOS installed. When I updated to the 11/2000 BIOS for the P08, everything worked great with the ATI Radeon and the hard drive. The BIOS update mentions that it adds dual-monitor support, so my hope was that it would also add advanced video card support, and it seems to have worked.

Hope this helps anyone that was in my boat.

David Palmer_5

Interesting! I didn├в t have any video cards on hand with which to test this, but went to the HP website for a BIOS upgrade anyway. Seems I already have version 2000.04.19 running (I├в m using a 1600-E34), but I couldn├в t tell if it was ver. A or B. When I ran the BIOS upgrade it said that I was already up to date (implying I had version B) ├в ┬ж I figured I├в d be safe and reinstall the latest version, but before doing so I made sure I had an updated Compaq Integrated System Management Driver.

Darned if, after the reboot with the new sys mgt driver, the onboard video card now can display 1024x768x256 or 800x600xHighColor. Heaps better than before, when the best it could do was 800x600x16colors. So surprisingly enough, the new Sys Mgt Driver makes it so I don├в t really need to install a new video card to get the higher res / colors.

Thanks lots for