cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 1600 and -2DH Controller

Mike Percival
Frequent Advisor

Proliant 1600 and -2DH Controller

This machine insisted it was part of a cluster under 2K3, so I used the 'Erase' utility to zap the system, then started from scratch. I don't have a SmartStart CD so I downloaded the SCU 4 floppy set and the ACU disks. The system configuration correctly identifies my 2DH controller, but when I try to run ACU, the following problems happen.

ACU recognises my -2DH as a 2/P even though SCU correctly identifies the controller.

The 3 9.1 Gb drives in Slot2,3 and 4 are correctly identified, but the two 4.3Gb drives in Slot0,1 are identified as 465Mb drives and NOT 4.3Gb.

The version of the ACU I used was from SoftPaq SP6263, which all the HP/Compaq stuff I can find on the site tells me is the correct version.

Why is the controller being identified incorrectly and why do the 4.3Gb drives only appear to have 1/10th of their capacity?!!
5 REPLIES
Mike Percival
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 1600 and -2DH Controller

More info: Firmware is up to date on Proliant 1600, Smart-2DH. Drives giving me problems are Seagate Barracuda ST34371WC fitted to 1" Proliant drive tray 242662-001 and these are both correct. If I remove the SCSI cable from the 2DH controller, and connect the Hot Swap drive cage to the on-board SCSI (non-RAID) controller, the controller correctly identifies the drives as ST34371WC's.

I ran the Option RomPaq which scanned all drives on the system. The drives were identified as being on Port2 of the on-board controller at slot positions 0 and 1. I have 9.1Gb Seagate Cheetah drives in the other slots and they are no problem on the Smart-2 and the physical capacities are correctly recognised.

Before I messed with the system (and erased it) I had a couple of Western Digital 4.3 drives in 0 and 1, which I then upgraded by swapping them one at a time for a couple of 9.0 Seagates. Each time I swapped one out, the array rebuilt itself, and after the second rebuild, created a new logical drive in the free space generated by using larger drives.

It occurred to me that with a system partition of 34Mb, adding the capacity that the controller thinks these drives have, works out at about 504Mb....now isn't that an INT 13 thing (from my old DOS days)? Old PC's used to max out at 504Mb if the BIOS couldn't support more than 1024 cylinders....is this somehow related to my problem??
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are the drives report's 465mb on diff slots also or on slot 0,1 only you are facing the problem with.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Mike Percival
Frequent Advisor

It doesn't matter which slots the drives are in, or whether the drive bay is connected to the 2-DH controller or the on-board SCSI port. Western Digital 43xx drives seem to work fine in the same trays. I tried the Compaq SCSI drive firmware patches and it reported that the firmware didn't need modifying. The 2DH controller (even though it is a 2P according to the ACU) recognises the drive model number with no problems. It simply insists it is 465Mb and not 4.3Gb. This happens with either of the two Seagate 4.3's, and either way round in the bays.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1)Are these hdd verfied on different server if you have there.

2) Do we have firmware revision ver 4.50 for controller if not implement it and do try.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/14981.html

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/14694.html

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Mike Percival
Frequent Advisor

Right! Problem Solved!!! Here is the whole story.

The 1600 originally had 5 drives, 2x 4.3 and 3x 9.1

I replaced the smaller drives with 9.1s one at a time and allowed the array to rebuild. The free space was then converted automatically to Logical Drive 3. So far so good (apart from WinSrv2k3 thinking he server was a cluster node!).

I just purchased a U2 rack on ebay, fully populated with 7x 2.1Gb drives on 1.6" caddies. This was simply going to be 15Gb of non-RAID storage for non-critical stuff. Then I thought, why not replace two of the 2.1 Gb drives with the 4.3's removed from the Proliant...no problem - giving me 19.1Gb.

Then, and this is where the trouble began, I bought 2 more 4.3Gb drives and trays at auction. Theye were 'tested and working' and according to the seller, had been fdisked and scandisked and no errors found.

I contacted the vendor and asked what OS was running on the donor machine, and he told me MS DOS and Win3.1. The penny dropped! A look at the Seagate web site led me to think that although these were 4.3Gb drives, they HAD been set up for a 504Mb DOS INT13 limit (465 or so plus 34 for the utility partition).

Seagate provide a utility called Seatools Enterprise which can be used to 'reformat' a SCSI disk and revert it to factory maximum capacity. The problem is, this works in Windows only, and will only recognise drives on a standard SCSI controller. If they are connected to the 2DH, they are recognised in Device Manager as 'Compaq Drive Array' and can't be accessed with any utilities.

Quick fix...remove all 9.1's from the array, put a 9.1 as Slot 0, and the two 'limited drives' on Slots 1 and 2. Hook the drive bay up to the standard SCSI port then install a quick and dirty copy of 98SE on Drive0. Run Seatools Enterprise and unlock the two 4.3's.

Connect the system back up as before, with all 5 9.1's in the hot swap bay on the 2DH, 4x 4.3 in the U2 along with 3 2.1's....

23.5Gb of storage in the U2 which I can now attach to PortB of the 2DH and create a new array.

Sometimes, the best lessons are learned the hard way! If these had been IDE drives, a simple FDISK would have solved the problem, but for us 'desktop' types, SCSI is a whole new ballgame! The greatest pleasure follows the worst pain!

Thanks for all the input!