108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 and Windows Server 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Proliant 1600 and Windows Server 2003

Currently running Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 Server on a Dual processor Proliant 1600 450MHz with 1 Meg of RAM.
Planning to upgrade (first) to Exchange Server 2003 and then to Windows Server 2003.
Apparently Windows Server 2003 is "not supported" on the 1600.
However, I installed the above desired combination on a test Proliant 1600 and all was well for as long as I left it (about a week).
What are the implications of being "not supported"?
It goes without saying that the old donkey is way past its sell-by date, and therefore out of warranty or even a maintenance contract, so this is not an issue.
Has anybody any experience of running either Exchange 2003 and/or Windows 2003 on this box?
7 REPLIES 7
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

I meant 1 Gig of RAM... Also Active Directory and Domain Controller.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi George,

I don't know about Exchange 2003 but Windows Server 2003 works OK on the Proliant 1600. "Unsupported" means that HP have not qualified the Proliant 1600 with Windows 2003 and there is no development of drivers etc. for it on the support web sites.

As an example, Windows 2003 does not provide support for the Netflex 3 NIC's but you can load an "unsigned" version of the Windows 2000 driver which works just fine on a Proliant 1600. Also, most of the Product Support Pack updates work OK from both Smartstart CD and download although I think it complains about the system management driver.

Basically you can install Windows 2003 but use the support link for Windows 2000 to load any required drivers which 2003 doesn't provide.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1126.html

It's not the fastest platform but it's a great workhorse, just don't ask HP for support if anything goes wrong as you know what the answer will be. I can't see there being a major issue with Exchange 2003 as it doesn't care if its a Proliant 1600.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS (P08).

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/9343.html

If I can be of any more help (I have a Proliant 1600 set up to run Netware 4, NT4, W2K and Windows Server 2003 for test purposes) then drop me an e-mail at brian.murdoch@hp.com

I hope this helps

Brian

George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

It was Windows I was concerned about, but I'm much happier now. Thanks for your help, and the links.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

George,

One other thing you might want to consider if you don't plan to replace the Proliant 1600 for a while is beefing up the system. The Proliant 1600 can go up to dual 600Mhz PIII Cpus.

If you do consider this however you must add a mandatory thermal upgrade kit or the system will cook.

Upgrades are also available in 500Mhz and 550Mhz form (Again the thermal kit is required). You can't use the existing Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM's) as they differ above 450Mhz so you would require CPU's and VRM's if upgrading. The memory does not need to be replaced though.

There is a fairly reasonable performance benefit when jumping from 450Mhz to 600Mhz.

Food for thought at least.

Regards,

Brian
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Brian

Thanks for the details on upgrading. In fact, I have only just added a second processor, plus maximum RAM, so I felt that could be enough "beefing up" to carry me over to Exchange 2003 and even Windows 2003, considering the performance was acceptable as is with a single CPU.

However, I'll keep in mind what you've said, just in case it starts dawdling.
Paul Beardmore

Hi there i was wondering if it was ok to use the origional board within the cpu enclosure and replace the CPU's VRM's and use the cooling kit ?

Thanks
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Paul
I'm not sure why your request has been tagged on to the end of this thread. I believe that you may receive some help if you were to start a new topic for it.