ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 1600 does not reboot properly after installing windows2000 server on it

Henry Tsang
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 does not reboot properly after installing windows2000 server on it

Hi,

The server will not restart properly by clicking the restart button after installing windows2000 server. A cursor just appeared on the top left hand corner on the screen right after the restart and then the harddisk activity light max out.

However, if I manually power it off and power it on again. Then it can boot up fine.

I had downloaded and installed the latest BIOS but did not help. Does anyone know the cause and solution to fix it.

thanks,
henry
11 REPLIES
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 does not reboot properly after installing windows2000 server on it

Hi Henry,

a couple of thoughts:
+ have you installed the latest Proliant Support pack on the server?
+ how is your power options for the system configured, i.e. check in start->settings->control panel->power
+ any UPS connected to the server?
+ have you installed any backup software, some backup software such as Legato Networker installes Power monitor type services which prevent unscheduled shutdown or atleast generates warning messages which must be closed before the system can be shut.

take a look at this, this might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282871

hope it helps and don't forget to assign points:)

regards
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 does not reboot properly after installing windows2000 server on it

hi henry,

another set of thoughts:
1. have you got WOL(Wake on Lan) enabled in the system BIOS?if yes, try disabling them and see if it fixes your problem
2) are you running AD-WATCH type utility on the system?
3) when you request a shut down of the server, and it doesnt power off, could you check in the task manager and check to see if there are any non-Microsoft services running?if there are, try killing them and see if that solves your problem,

let me know how you go..

hope it helps and don't forget to assign points:)

regards,
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are we facing the same problem while we are in safe mode.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Henry,

If you have an older Smart Array controller installed make sure it's in slot 6. I had a similar problem with my PL1600 and moved my raid controller to fix it. You could also upgrade the firmware on it which might help.

Smart 2/P (Version 4.50 F/W)
Smart 2DH (Version 4.50 F/W)
Smart 3200 (Version 4.50 F/W)

If your disks are attached to the embedded SCSI ports on the small interconnect backplane then check cabling and termination, especially on port 2 (lower connector).

Regards,

Brian
Henry Tsang
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

Saket,

The server does not has any backup software or UPS attached. The power options seem all normal as well.

Prashant,

In safe mode, I am ABLE to restart and shutdown the server as NORMAL so what do you think is the cause of it???

Brian,

I have updated the firmware of the 3200 array controller and move it to slot 6 as well but it is still the same.

Thanks,
Henry
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

My assumption if its working in safe mode then some application is still running at backgrounds which leads to abnormal behaviour while shutting down. So try to reduce the application working in backgrund then check agian. Where as check you registry startup option is there any unwanted application started at post.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Henry Tsang
Occasional Contributor

Hi Prashant,

Where should I look at in the registry for the startup processing during POST??

The server is only running PCAnywhere and SQL services and nothing special else
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Henry,

thats why I asked if you could please perform this test:
3) when you request a shut down of the server, and it doesnt power off, could you check in the task manager and check to see if there are any non-Microsoft services running?if there are, try killing them and see if that solves your problem

so then you could compare the same step in the safe mode shutdown...

this should give you an indication that some non-standard service is persistent and is not honoring the OS shutdown.

regards,
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we can try monitoring services ony by one. Let say all services are stopped related to diff application then server is shutting down or not.
Then ty to make services up one by one then check again.

Regrds,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Henry Tsang
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

Still the same, I disabled or killed all processes that does not come up in Safe mode. So the processes and services running in normal mode are now the same as the safe mode but still problem... very strange...
Adam Slonim
Occasional Visitor

Henry:

We have a 1600 that we are just placing into service to replace one that went bad. We loaded Win2k without any problems and the box restarted and shutdown just fine.

Somewhere after a round of loading windows hot fixes (using windows update) the box started to have the same problems you describe, blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.

We will probably start backing out hot fixes to see what happens, unless someone has an idea of ones that may be more suspect.

I really don't want to rebuild the box but that might be an option.

Henry, have you recently loaded any hot fixes?

Adam