1752810 Members
5696 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant 1600 doesn't POST

Mike Stakenas
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 doesn't POST

We have a Proliant 1600R that we were performing upgrades on. I installed the Support Paq for NT 4.0 from the SmartStart 5.40 CD, then powered off the server and upgraded the system ROM firmware from the same 5.40 CD. The ROMPAQ stated that the firmware was upgraded successfully. During the boot after the ROMPAQ upgrade, the system displayed the CPU, memory, and firmware and hung where we normally see the "Press F8 to configure Remote Insight Board" message. This RIB is a Lights-Out board which was at firmware rev 2.11. We powered off the system and powered it back on with the Smart Start CD inserted to upgrade the System Partition. The System Partition seemed to upgrade properly but when the system rebooted after the upgrade, the system hung. We did not get POST or video. The Integrated Management Display listed "PCI Autoconfig". After a few mintues we powered off the system. I had the tech at the site remove the RIB and reseat it and the system booted to NT 4.0. I upgraded the firmware on the RIB to version 2.41 which worked fine. We tried a warm boot of the system and it once again hung with "PCI AutoConfig" displayed on the IMD. Cold boots appear to work fine but the warm boot is a problem. The system has a Smart 221 controller that is at rev. 4.16 and the system rom is dated 11/08/2000. Any ideas?