6138 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 no post

dave_400

Proliant 1600 no post

I have inherited a proliant 1600.
It has a pII 400 cpu (single).
After properly reseating everything i can power it up but I get no Post screen (even with different monitors). I have tried with/without ram, cpu, scsi card.
At the moment I have no cpu, scsi card, no ram, no cdrom, no fdd and it still wont post.
When I power it up the 5 hdd's leds light up for 1 second then go off. It appears that all power connection are OK (including the p5 connector)
Any ideas before I get my sledgehammer out!!!
3 REPLIES 3
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 1600 no post

Sounds like dead video to me.

This type of system has a single system board in a cage, and an I/O board on the other cage. Most common problem is that the system board isn't seated correctly usually because the locking clip is a fragile piece of plastic.

The server is an Intel BX-based system. It won't start without the CPU. Remember, the boot specification for Intel systems is a POWER-GOOD signal from the CPU to start booting.

Test your CPU and memory in another machine (if you can). Install the system cage FIRMLY. Make sure the cage is fully home. Check that SW1 is set at default : OFF, OFF, OFF (for rack mount), OFF OFF and OFF.

The core/bus switch should be set as follows for a 400MHz CPU. ON OFF ON ON

Otherwise, I saw a replacement system board advertised from C-Tech for $85
dave_400

John,
I have stripped the server down and reseated everything this morning and also tried a known-good pci video car to no avail.
The cpu cage has a green led next to the processor. I will try a new processor today.

dave_400

John
I put a new cpu (that I know works) in this morning and still no progress.