7658 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 video problem

Patrick_130

Proliant 1600 video problem

hi there guys!

Maby someone can help me out here i never had experience with servers but,
a good friend of mine recently gave me a proliant 1600 with everything in it Smartstart cd and all i installed everything with the smartstart cd and windows 200 server it works just fine.

we want to use the sever for gaming purposes Playing Blach hawk down or something else
but the graphics card onboard is out of date for that purpose so i bought myself a Pci Ati Radeon 9200 Card and put it in! (the p1600 has no AGP)

now i have the problem the server can`t see the card and i dont know how to install it! i tried everything the last couple of day`s re installed the server for 4 times and even tried to turn the standard graphics card(onboard ) off in the bios
(i could not do that because i could not find it)

So can someone please help me i`m getting desperate here......
GreetZ Patrick
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 video problem

Hello Patrick,
I have installed RADEON by ATI as well in my PL1600 and it works flawlessly. Once you install the Video card you are suppose to run System Configuration Utility. I am not sure which version of Smart Start do you have. If you do have 5.50 version then it's perfect. If not then here is the link to download the latest SCU:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

I went ahead and installed a Sound Blaster audio card as well. After running the SCU if you still have any problems please let me know and I shall try to help you out with this.

Regards,
Patrick_130

Tnx i`ll try it tonight i hope it works!

Alan P

I have also got a 1600 PIII and want to play DVD's on it. As the server only comes with a embedded 1MB graphics controller, I decided to buy a 64MB Ati Radeon 7000 card. Ive installed the card and the server recognises it, however when I play a DVD the movie "stutters" to use a better word.
Ive amended the settings tried it in different pci slots (Primary and Secondary buses) and the problem still occurs. The only time I managed to get a "smooth" picture was when I removed all the other pci devices including the sound card! Ive tried another ati card (8MB) and get the same problem. I suspect its a pci buffer\bandwith type of problem? Can anyone help?
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem. Can you tell me if this solved your problem.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

See if there are any settings under System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options that might improve the situation.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Scott Sutherland_1
Occasional Advisor

Sorry you may have misunderstood my previous message. I have a new Proliant Server installed with a fresh copy of W2000. I have the integrated video and wanted to install a second video card. The card was a ATI Radeon 9200 PCI. The system will does not pickup the video card. I tried ugrading my Config system to 5.5 but it still reads 2.48 and the card is still not seeing my card in the 3rd PCI slot. Thanks for any help you can offer.