ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753802 Members
8075 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 with 12/24GB DAT Tape Drive - CRC Errors

John Goedhart

Proliant 1600 with 12/24GB DAT Tape Drive - CRC Errors

Replaced the drive 5 times in the past year and after about a month the drive dies again with CRC errors. We have replaced everything in the server to no avail, including tapes. Any help would be great!

"Storage device "COMPAQ 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."
6 REPLIES 6
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

John:

Do you have a drive cleaning tape and does it get used periodically?

If yes, make sure the SCSI buss that the DAT drive is on is properly terminated. Tell us what devices are on that buss (internal & external) and which are terminated.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

One more thing, if the data rate can be manually set in the SCSI controller, make sure it's not set faster than the device can handle (try setting it slower to see what effect that has).

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Mark_475
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Please check you SCSI cable for any bend or dented pin.
John Goedhart

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. I'll check the connections, pins, and termination when onsite next and go from there.
Thanks again.
John Goedhart

Another thing, this client is about 500km away from us, I'm remote in and I noticed in the logs of the backup that all the failed jobs all have 4,517,760 byte count, where the successful ones have approx 1,123,444,571. Any idea why it would stop at that point? Could it be a corrupt file??
Thanks
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

John:

In that case, please let us know what OS you're using and what backup software (including version, if it's commercial software). I think your idea (file corruption) has merit. CHKDSK may be in order. Go here and drill down:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1126.html?submit.y=6&submit.x=6тМй=en&cc=us

Depending on your OS, you may find a new Proliant Support Pack there that you might want to consider installing.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger