1753548 Members
5723 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 with 76gig SCSI drive issue - system hangs after initial post

MADMAX_1

Proliant 1600 with 76gig SCSI drive issue - system hangs after initial post

hi all

I have picked up a pair of PIII proliant servers, and I want to use one for a home server.

I have a 76 gig SCSI drive in the hot swap bay that I have assorted files on, but every time I have the drive in the bay and start the system it hangs just after the post screen...

If I have the drive removed windows starts fine, I can then go into device manager and scan for hardware changes, where the drive is picked up and runs fine....

the server sees the drive at post so I assume its a windows/scsi problem.. I have updated to the newest bios, I think I have updated the drivers(its a bit hard to understand which drivers I actually need) and I was going to update the firmware but I was not sure which one to get as I don't know what brand/version is in the server...

is there a known problem with these older servers and newer larger SCSI drives?

PS: I have tried both Windows XP pro and server 2003, and both have the exact same issue..

thanks for any help
Matthew
2 REPLIES 2
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 with 76gig SCSI drive issue - system hangs after initial post

Which kind of controller do you have the drives attached to? HP won't support these drives attached to the embedded scsi adapter, because the embedded doesn't support LVD drives (only single ended). These 76 GB drives are likely U160 or U320, which aren't LVD.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
MADMAX_1

Re: Proliant 1600 with 76gig SCSI drive issue - system hangs after initial post

the drive is a IBM 73.4g 10k rpm 320 hotswap drive..

and I have it in the hotswap bay along with a pair of original compaq 10g scsi drives...

The drive is correctly identified and spins up at post... but the system hangs shortly after when windows starts up...

and as stated I can get the drive running if I search for hardware changes after I insert the drive once windows has finished loading..

I would have thought that if the drive is incompatible with the embeded scsi chip the drive would not be picked up at either the post screen or by windows...