108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Byrnes
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600

I have a proliant 1600 with dual 400 Mhz processors. This morning I went to Re-run Compaq Smartstart for servers Ver 5.20. Inorder to convert the server to a Win2k Domain Controller. The server will boot correctly and retect the Ram and Bios version. It will notify me that I have a 1785 - slot 4 Dirve array not configured message. It will then notify me to Run the Compaq Array Configuration Utility. The it will scan the SCSi drives and NOT detect them. I would then be notified to Run the Configuration Utility. Then Press "F1" key to continue or Press the "F10" key for System Partition Utilities. Both give the same result: Invalid system disk replace the disk, then press any key. I have used another Smartstart cd and received the same results. I have swapped the SCSI drives, set SW6 for inactivate the NVRAM. Attempted to use the Sys Erase utility and the sysconfig utility via Floppy still receiving the same message listed above. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

James Byrnes
9 REPLIES 9
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello James,
Have you updated the system bios?? Which type of Array controller are you using?? Is the firmware of the controller uptodate?? Please go to the following link to update the BIOS as well as the firmware of the array controller if it's not done already:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1126.html

After all the upgrades are done, please run system erase. Power down the server and move the HDDs around just for the sytem to know that a fresh install is taking place. Make sure the first HDDs is moved from it's original position atleast.
Please let us know as to how you make out.

Regards,
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hello;

If your drives are connected to an array controller, it's normal to see "no scsi devices detected" after "scanning for scsi devices".

The "scanning for scsi devices" message is the embedded scsi controller on the PL1600 initializing, not the array controller.

A 1785 from the array controller indicates that it has drives attached but no array configuration. Still sounds normal on an unconfigured system - especially if you've run system erase.

If you can't boot from SmartStart, the server is most likely trying to boot off the unconfigured hard drives and giving you the "non-system disk" error.

I'd check the cd-rom cabling to make sure it's secure, and check the system configuration switch to make sure that there isn't something locking the configuration and stopping the server from booting from CD.

Check the inside cover of your machine for the location of the switch (back corner of the system I/O board). Open switch 6 and power up the machine to clear the old configuration. Power down the machine, close switch6 and make sure all the other switches are in default (all off for a tower, all but number 3 off for a rack machine).

Then try booting off your SmartStart cd again.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
James Byrnes
Occasional Contributor

First, Let me both thank you for your assistance. Second. I have tried to upgrade the Bios the server still reports after reading the disk non-system disk or disk error, then press any key, I used 2 different floppys, one new oneand one used but erased. I have used SW6 for the NVRAM still no luck. I have also checked the cabeling all connected. As test I was able to boot from a Windows 98 and Win2K startup disks and installation procedure starts. My array controller is a Smart-2DH in slot 4 rev C. Ver 2.08 Thanks again
James
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi James;

There isn't an Array Configuration Utility that you can run from floppy.

The Array Configuration Utility lives on the SmartStart CD.

You'd need to boot from a SmartStart CD to configure the hardware, array controller and set-up before the OS installation.

If you're able to boot from the OS CD's, the SmartStart boot-up and configuration should work.

cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

After reading through all the information I still don't see what happens when booting off the Smart Start CD. Does it boot off the CD? If it does what does it do?

Normally the server will boot off the CD and give you the option to configure hardware. After configuring the hardware, it should automatically launch the array configuration utility. The only way you "may" be able to configure the controller without Smart Start would be to download SP6263 and run this utility from the floppy. This version will normally allow you to configure the 2/DH.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
James Byrnes
Occasional Contributor

I gave the system another try an booted off of the CD to get the actual details of what was happening. Upon boot up off the Smartstart cd. I am now receiving Error Code: 57
The previous Smartstart process was prematurely terminated. The system may have been configured and an operating system installed using a manual process. Smartstart will reboot to the system utilities screen. From this point you can either run and update the system utilities or erase the system and restart Smartstart. Press any key to reboot the system.

I then pressed enter and the system restarted Smartstart. The process started the install and I am currently installing the OS to the Drive.
My question is WHAT HAPPENED????? Nothing changed.
After the OS is installed should I then upgrade the Bios and the firmware on the SCSI card?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello James,
This is a very strange situation. Anyways after you are finished installing the OS please update the system bios as well as the firmware of the Smart Array controller. I have posted the links for you already.

Regards,
James Byrnes
Occasional Contributor

Thank You ALL!
saigo999

sorry to highjack a thread, bu I am a newbie that got his hands on a compaq proliant 4500...and would like to know what can be done to upgrade it...this will be for a home environement and testing for clusters ...later date.

anyways here is the link for this...
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=884028

hopefully you can help me?

If not thanks anyways.
have a great day all..