3937 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600

SOLVED
Go to solution
matt carter_1

Proliant 1600

I have removed a working proliant 1600 from a rack in order to test it on a workbench, I initially attached a mains cable (240v) in 1 of three redundant power supplys, this then blew with a loud CRACK, I then connected the remaining two psu's to the mains , and another of them did the same thing at which point I gave up for the day !! Is there anything that I am doing wrong, or could it just be that as the unit has not been turned off for several years it just didn't like cooling down !! Any suggestions please
4 REPLIES 4
Edward A. Rauch

Just wondering Matt if they were actually configured to be 240V on the Power Supplies.
Both of my 1600 Power supplies are 120v. But I'm sure you've already checked that!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Matt,

The hot-plug PSU's can take 100-240V input so there isn't an issue with the AC supply.

They work on a 2+1 basis, in other words you need 2 working PSU's to provide enough current for the PL1600. The third PSU then becomes a redundant one but all three work and share the load at any point in time allowing for any one PSU to fail without disruption.
They will give a crack when the mains cable is live and connected but they obviously should not blow up. Since you may now have two hot-plug PSU's which are faulty, you won't get it working until you have two working ones (2+1 rule).
The spare part number for the AC hot-plug power supply is 283623-001. (Common to a few Proliant models).
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=283623-001

Alternatively you could fit the standard PSU if this proves to be too expensive to repair. The normal (non-hotplug) 325 Watt PSU for a Proliant 1600 is spare part 271916-001. You have to remove the hot-plug cage to fir this but it isn't difficult.
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=271916-001

Try E-bay first using the 283623-001 part and if you can't obtain hot-plug PSU's try 271916-001 as a full replacement. Please note: These are the correct spare part numbers. Some items I have seen on Ebay are advertised incorrectly.

Good luck.

Brian

matt carter_1

Thank you both for your prompt and very useful replies, I think I will go the 325watt psu route as the server is not critical. I didn't see this info in the service manual, which is a bit of an oversight if you ask me..

Many Thanks

matt carter_1

Actually it wasn't an oversight, it was me being a stupid user !!