108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600R 6/450 Multiprocessor HAL

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Proliant 1600R 6/450 Multiprocessor HAL

I have upgraded this Server to have a second PII 450, and the SCU has detected both processors OK, but Windows 2000 Server still only recognises one.
From what I have gleaned, I probably need to change the processor HAL from "Standard PC" to "MPS Multiprocessor PC", so that WIndows 2000 Server will recognise the second processor.
Before doing so, can anyone confirm that this is definitively the correct option, and that I should NOT use the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" option.
My concern is that if I choose the wrong option, I would need to re-install Windows.
As this is a production Server, I would prefer not to do a re-install!
Thank you
13 REPLIES 13
Daniel Thrun
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600R 6/450 Multiprocessor HAL

Greetings. You are correct. When you installed the second processor, in order for the OS to use and see it you have to upgrade from the UNIprocessor Kernel to the Multiprocessor Kernal or HAL. This allows and tell the OS that it is now a multiprocessor kernel.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello George,
Please check the following link from MS for assistance:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;234558

Regards,
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Also it should be checked that correct APIC settings are selected in system setup.

Enter system setup, press CTRL-A to enable advanced settings, and verify that apic mode is set to 'full table'.
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have a go sometime next week.
I've also seen references to "Full Table (Mapped)" but am not sure if that option is in the SCU. If it is, should I go for it, rather than just "Full Table"?
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I must confess that I don't remember what the difference is. The manuals from the training are in the office so I'm unable to access them here at home.

But there was something like 'If one doesn't work try the other'.

On Thursday I'll visit a HP training where such stuff is discussed and I'll refresh my fading memory :)

Here's a document that says for NT4 multiprocessor support you should use 'full table mapped' (and it describes how to configure that):

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EM981208_CW01.xml&dt=3

There's another document that says that for Solaris 'full table' should be used.

And via google search I found a document that said 'full table' is ok for Linux but 'full table mapped' should also work.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

But if apic mode is set to 'off' then the 2nd processor will not work properly because it will not be able so serve any interrupts.
Administrator_27

Thanks again Martin. If you get a chance when you visit hp training, to double check everything with them, that would be great. I'm wondering whether to update the BIOS as mine is dated 2000 (P08).
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Sorry - I inadvertently used another user name - the above msg was from me!
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Updating the system BIOS usually is a good idea... (and if you call HP support its always the first thing that they will suggest).

BTW system BIOS, array controller firmware, OS drivers and management agents should be upgraded in that order.

For example upgrading the OS drivers without upgrading the BIOS/Smart Array firmware or upgrading the insight agents without upgrading the OS drivers may result in big trouble (blue screen - I've seen that happen).

Maybe you'll get the answer sooner since at least one of the trainers of such HP trainings is a forum member :)