cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 1600R Will not power on

Dan Jurden
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 1600R Will not power on

I get power, fans are running, power indicator light is on. But nothing...

The CD activitiy light blinks every few seconds. That's all. Also, I put a CD in the drive but cannot eject it.

What do I check?
4 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600R Will not power on

Hi Dan,

Sounds like the small dc power cable has fallen off the interconnect backplane which joins the I/O module and processor cage. This can easily happen when you are working in the removeable storage area. The blinking CD led is certainly a clue that this cable has fallen off.

Please see the following forum link for further details and images of the area to look at.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=600171

I hope this helps,

Brian

Dan Jurden
Occasional Visitor

Brian,

Thanks for your suggestion, but all three of these cables are connected. I disconnected each of them and re-connected them. The one in question, plugs in so that 4 pins closest to the SCSI connector are exposed.

Still get nothing but the CD light blinking...
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,

That is really strange because the symptoms you are showing are classic to a failure in this area. Please check all the power supply cables from their source to the various connectors. I assume that you removed the I/O and CPU cages to view the small interconnect module. It's very important to make sure that the CPU and I/O cages fit very securely to this small module so you may have to push them hard with the palm of your hand while using the locking handles.

I'm still fairly sure the problem lies in this area but you could start by removing any loads as follows: -

1.Remove the power and SCSI cables that go to the disk drive cage.
2.Remove the floppy disk and CD power and data cables (Even floppy disk drives have been known to pull down servers

If necessary I will take a picture of the cable layout on my own Proliant 1600 and attach it in a future reply.

Please let me know if any of the above suggestions help.

Brian
Dan Jurden
Occasional Visitor

Brian,

Again, thanks for your time.

I have removed the power and IO connections to the CD drive, floppy drive and the HD drive cage. Tried to start with these disconnected. Still nothing.

I removed both cages and re-seated them, pressing firmly while putting them back in. Still nothing.

I removed all power connectors from the power supply to the secondary board (including the main ones) and plugged them back in. Still nothing.

I'm reaching here...

Is there a special power cable? I bought this computer via an auction and it did not come with a power cable. I am using an old one from an old desktop.

Also, I am connecting mouse, keyboard and monitor via a KVM switch. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Dan