3119 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600R acting up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Shepard

Proliant 1600R acting up

I have a proliant 1600r that was given to me to play with. It has all hardware(400 P2, 512 ram, 2 scsi 2, including smart start 5.3. When I power it up all I get is blinking light on the CD rom and no video...all fans work, hard drives light up...but I get nothing...I tried to boot from the floppy, but it does not.
Is this ready for the trash???
I know the processors and ram are good,
6 REPLIES 6
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Sorry if this is an stupid suggestion, but have you tried with other monitor?
When you are trying to boot, do you see any message on the screen ( memory checking, detecting SCSI devices, etc )?

Kind regards,
Zigor

Adrian_47
Occasional Contributor

Have you checked the switches on the motherboard, the video may be disabled?
Thomas Shepard

Thanks for the reply and when it comes to computers nothing is too obvious. I tried a diff monitor that did not help. I checked the switches on the board. They too are set correctly. I also just noticed that the hard drives are not always spinning up when started. Sometimes they do. I am really leaning toward a major malfunction theory. Is there not a way to reset the bios or something...Even with major problems shouldn't I still get some beeps or something?????
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

If you can't see any kind of message in the screen, maybe your graphics card is crashed.
Perhaps there are further errors in your hardware, but think you should be able to see them in the screen.
So, I think the best option here is to get the monitor working ( change or add a new graphics card ).
About updating the BIOS, here is the link:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/9878.html
But looks like you need to use RDU to do that.

Kind regards,
Zigor
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thomas,

I think you may be suffering from a problem which is quite common to the Proliant 1600 when someone has been working in the removeable storage area (Where the DAT drive and CD etc. are located). The clue is the blinking light on the CD-ROM.

Please follow this procedure to check for a cable which has fallen off.

Slide the side cover off and remove the two security screws holding the processor cage and the IO cage in place (If present). Slide the Processor Cage and the IO cages out of the server using the release handles and set them aside.
Now look closely at the small interconnect backplane which the two cages slide into.
There is a small power supply connector which looks a bit like a CD audio cable which has probably come loose. It will be dangling there somewhere if you look closely enough. It sometimes gets knocked off by accident when someone installs a DAT drive in the system. It is keyed so you will see where it belongs however I have attached an image of the interconnect backplane to this reply which may help you locate it. (click on the paperclip)

I hope this helps,

Brian
Thomas Shepard

Mr Murdoch wins the brass ring.
Thanks for your help

Thomas.