4872 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600R boot trouble

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert M_2

Proliant 1600R boot trouble

I have a Proliant 1600 that just wont boot at all. No POST, COMPAQ splash screen or anything resembling life on the screen. All the fans come on when powered up, the CPU's (dual Intel SL2U6) get warm after a while but nothing on the screen. I've tried replacing CPU's, memory, swapped the system IO and CPU boards and double-checked all connectors but still no sign of life. My initial suspicion was that i was using CPU's with incompatible stepping but i'm not too sure now. Anyone have any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor
Solution

First, was this server previously working? Was something added or removed that caused this? Do you have a Remote Insight board installed? If so is the video dip switch set for the onboard video or not?

When you boot up the machine, when looking at the drives do they eventually light up? Once the Smart Array card identifies the logical drives the lights will go on the drives. Does this happen?

Have you tried with one CPU and swapped the VRM module? Also, have you checked the memory? How many memory sticks and more so are they Compaq compatible memory. If they are Kingston memory it should be KTC3614. Try with one memory stick in.

In the past I have had a similar problem where I just broke down the server to the bare minimum of parts. Once it worked I just started to add in the memory, 2nd CPU, etc. and it worked. No explanation or reason why it would not boot in the first place. But once I took these steps it worked fine with all the hardware.

In past when I have had similar problems it has usually been either the VRM was bad, or the memory.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I've found to check all the connections on the mid-backplane board where the proc cage and sys I/O board plug in. There are a few connections on that board that aren't overly secure. Check to make sure those are all seated properly.
Bryan_96
Occasional Advisor

My experiance of these servers is the processor board working loose. I would just slide out the processor board half way and push it firmly back in. I have had this several times at different customer sites, when they move the server.
Robert M_2

I've broken the server down completely and put it back together with the basics at first to try and eliminate the problem. I've now isolated the problem to the backplane connecting the CPU and System IO board. It seems that either the connections (female to the boards) are worn out or there is a faulty component as a test reveals an open/shorted circuit. I've ordered a replacement and i'll see how that goes. Many thanks.