1752794 Members
6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1850R 2 slot expansion cage

Vince Van De Coevering
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 1850R 2 slot expansion cage

I believe that the 2 bay expansion cage is experiencing a failure. All 3 drive lights come on the moment the unit is powered up. The drive lights on the drives in the other bay do not light up until the Smart 3200 is loading. The Smart 3200 will see drive 4 (most of the time) in the cage but not drive 5.

Is there a reset that can be applied or should I start looking for a new cage?
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Vince,
The first thing I would do is power down the server and reseat the hard drive. If that does not help then either it's a bad hdd or the backplane board.

Regards,
Vince Van De Coevering
Occasional Advisor

Next question..

I have spent a lot of time browsing these forums and have seen other instances where the lights being on was related to a cabling issue.

My cabling is Smart 3200 -> 2x1 (bottom port) -> 2x1 (top port) -> 4x1

I noticed a blue connector box on the back of each backplane. Are those connectors used to link the 2 cages together? Or do they have some other purpose?

Thanks!
e4services
Honored Contributor

Vince Van De Coevering
Occasional Advisor

I can no confirm that the required cable is an 12 pin (only 11 are used) cable.

You can make your own with 10-12" of 12 pin ribbon cable and 2 female 12 pin connectors. Build a straight through cable.

I hope this information helps someone else on down the road...
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hello vince

there are two possible ways to cable the system:

1) cable from smart to 2-drive bay. from 2-drive-bay you cable to the main drive cage.

if the main drive cage does not have the newer lvd disks (the ones with the black lever) it will not work at all.

2) inoffical but works fine: cable from smart (port x) to main drive cage. onother cable from port y to 2-drage cage. but you mus install a LVD cabable terninator on the output connector.

best regards
ernesto

ps: the 2-drive bay does not support a wide ultra controller (like the LSI 53c87 on the systemboard. it must be a lvd controller (u2, u3, u320).