ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753873 Members
7440 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1850R and Storage System UE

Matt Asher

Proliant 1850R and Storage System UE

I have a Proliant 1850R with 3 9.1GB Wide Ultra SCSI3 drives attached to a Smart-2SL SCSI controller in PCI Slot 4. I also have an external Storage System UE with 12 9.1GB Wide Ultra SCSI3 drives. The UE is connected via the SCSI cable to the onboard SCSI controller of the 1850R. The drives are recognized in the System Configuration Utility when I boot the 1850R with SmartStart 5.5. When I run the Copmaq Array Configuration Utility via SmartStart, only the internal 3 drives are shown with the PCI SCSI controller. Should the UE drives and controller be recognized in the Array Config. Utility? I was hoping to configure both controllers and drive arrays before installing the OS.

The Smart-2SL ROM has been upgraded, as well as the 1850R System ROM.

Thanks,
--Matt
2 REPLIES 2
Anton Reiman
Advisor

Re: Proliant 1850R and Storage System UE

Matt,

The SMART-2SL is a single channel RAID controller. So you can only have disks on either the internal channel (what you have) or disks on the external channel.

So, you will either have to install a dual channel RAID controller (SMART 2P; SMART 3200 etc) that supports disks on both the channels, Or install a second SMART 2SL raid controller with the Proliant storage system attatched to its external port.
Matt Asher

Re: Proliant 1850R and Storage System UE

Anton,

What you've said about the single/dual channel 2SL controller makes sense and was something I hadn't considered. Thank you for that. Just so I understand, there are two controllers (one on the motherboard, and one in the PCI slot). Are these considered separate controllers?

Thanks,
--Matt