1748198 Members
2683 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1850R and Windows 2k3

Chris Thomas_7
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1850R and Windows 2k3

Hello. Last night I began my domain upgrade to Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory. I upgraded my PDC, which was a Proliant 1850R running Windows NT 4.0. The upgrade went fine, but when I was done I experienced some video quality issues. It looks like the best color quality I can have, and still have the screen fit correctly on my Compaq TFT450 monitor (1024x768), is Low (8bit) color. If I bump the resolution down to 800x600, the color looks a little bit better, but the screen size does not fill the monitor display. I realize that having pretty colors on your server display isn't really all that important, but the current quality is just plain ugly. The server has an integrated ATI 3D Rage IIC PCI card. I am wondering if someone can suggest a video card that will give me the improved quality I want without really affecting server performance at all. Any help you could lend would be most appreciated.

Thanks

-Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Robert Amarena
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris:

Have you tried downloading the Correct Video Driver from HP's website. Also there may be Upadtes for the 1850 as far as with any issues with Windows 2003.

Link for Drivers for 1850R:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1115.html

Note that 2003 Server was not listed as an OS, just Windows 2000.

If you look, there are Windows 2000/2003 Updates. I would try this first before you buy a New Video Card.

Robert
Chris Thomas_7
Occasional Contributor

After upgrading to 2K3 on this server, I did install the latest Support Paq, which I assumed included the latest video drivers. I could be wrong in this assumption though, so I will definitley check out the driver version.

Thanks for the info

-Chris
Chris Thomas_7
Occasional Contributor

I just checked and the latest driver on Compaq's site is 5.0.2195.3249 D. My server is currently running 5.2.3790.0. Since my current one said it was provided by Microsoft, I decided to "downgrade" to the one provided by ATI at Compaq's site. I received the exact same results.

Thanks for the advice though, it was worth a try.

-Chris