1748197 Members
2554 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1850R

Stefan Nader

Proliant 1850R

Hello to all

Quite some time im trying to install a proliant 1850r with windows 2000. everythings running fine until im trying to add a second cpu. the machine starts booting, and when it gets to load the kernel the machine switches off !! and about 15 seconds later it turns back on. But just if there is a second cpu in the machine. ive already managed full table in scu for apic support. windows already installed the right hal. machine can boot with both of the cpu's if just one is inserted. also changed the ppm's with each other, also running fine. but if i plug in the second cpu system wont boot or install. im slowly getting crazy with this machine. maybe anybody can help.

gretts steve
6 REPLIES 6
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1850R

The second CPU must be of the same clock speed, cache size AND stepping level.
Stefan Nader

it is

i also restarted scu to ensure its not a "bios" config problem.

the really strange about this issue for me is that the system powers off by itself when the kernel boots and about 15 seconds later it powers back on.

one hint would be possibly, a glitch that i had between the process that at bootup i had a message about temperature problem system halting for 5 minutes, dont know exactly the message. after that never seen the message again.

im now at a point where i'm starting to be really frustrated and disappointed. orginally the machine costed a fortune and now that. why should i ever buy a hp server anymore?
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Are the processors the same part number. Same goes for the voltage regulators. Part numbers are a fine example of problems.
Have you tried the second cpu as the single?
I had one of these and gave it to my son.
Good Luck
Sincerely, Mark
Stefan Nader

As mentioned earlier ppm's and cpu's are "identical".
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Hello, Steve.
I recall a paper inside the cover with settings and information. Is there anything on that about twin cpu's?
Just a thought as I no longer have mine.
Sincerely, Mark.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

it's not the first time a situation like this happen.
refer to the quick spec at the link:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10039_div/10039_div.PDF

you have to buy the correct P/N for the second processor option.
see at page 6 of the quick spec.

the part number ends with "-B21".

usually the P/N of the firsst processor ends with "-L21".

I have had the same problem upgrading a prolian ML150 G3 from a single E5320 quad core to the Dual.

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci