1752565 Members
5562 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1850R

Tim Goins_1

Proliant 1850R

Have been browsing the forums and haven't really come across a effective solution for upgrading the display adapter in this particular server. I am trying to disable the onboard display and add in a third party display adapter (ATI AIW Radeon) for the purposes of doing video capture to the drive array. Every time that the primary embedded display is disabled and the add in card is put in the system will not boot at all. Take it out and presto the system boots properly. So far I have tried to clear the NVRAM and reconfigure the system manually to no avail. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant 1850R

Hi Tim,

Our Servers do not lend themselves well with PCI Video Cards. The few cases that have succeeded the Customer used BUS #1 Slot intended for our RIB (Remote Insight Board) which initializes first.

Usually on most servers this is one particular Slot. But in your case the 1850R all (4) Slots are BUS #1 and designated as suitable for RIB Cards.

I do believe the lowest Slot #1 would be the best choice and you should try several Video Cards made by different Manufactures until you are able to get a compatible one.

Good Luck,

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Tim Goins_1

Thank you for the response. Is there a particular reason why these systems don't cooperate well with add in video boards? One consideration that went through my mind was the video board wants to come up nearly immeadiately after the initial post has completed so if the post never completes for a particular reason the board will never come up. Some of the other posts that I have read and as you described the system has a set initialization sequence and if something is added to change that then the system will not boot properly.
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Tim,

I do not have any additional information and I am going on Vacation and will not be able to research it further.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world