8456 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 2500 & Linux not seeing raid

Simon Topley
Advisor

Further to my last posting, I have found a scsi terminator, it is a
Single Ended Active device, part number, 12-41768-03, this had to be jigged to fit, which involved taking the plastic casing off, I get an error saying SCSI array not configured which I expected but I am getting this cabling error (1702-SCSI Cable Error) when I connect my drives to my new 2DH controller, wether the terminator is connected to the onboard controller or not, have I got the wrong sort of terminator? Can anyone suggest a part or part type, i am a bit stuck due to the layout, the terminator has to be very narrow with no lugs or will need to be on a cable, maybe this is what is required??
Vince Van De Coevering
Occasional Advisor

Have you configured the raid drive using the smartstart CD or the utilities in the system partition (Press F10)?

You need to create your array using one of those utilities before the software will see it.

Once the array is created the SuSe installer should see it. If it doesn't you may need to provide the following command at boot time to load the drivers: modprobe cpqarray
Simon Topley
Advisor

Vince
The problem I have now is that when I move the scsi cable to the new controller I get an error on the internal onboard controller saying cable error, I tried to put a terminator on it but it makes no apparent difference, I have since erased it all and started again, the 2DH controller is listed as the first controller but now it won't do anything,it just hangs at the scsi cable error as reported previously.
I can't see how to disable the onboard controller, there doesn't appear to be anything like a BIOS interface, I get errors when I try to do this in hardware config
Simon Topley
Advisor

I think I may have realised my problem, would I be right in thinking that the correct cabling for this would be for the original controller to stay connected, then another cable runs from the new controller to the SCSI backplane?
If so, cue sounds of nube banging his head on the desk!
Simon Topley
Advisor

Oh the saga drags on........

I have been looking at the proliant manual, Maintenance and Service 281834-001, on page 2-21 is says if connecting a expansion card it should be wired this way but, my machine does not have this sort of backplane on the drive enclosure, mine only has one scsi connector, so I managed to borrow a scsi cable for an alpha machine 17-04867-01, this has an extra scsi connector on it, I have managed to configure the array now but it says there are errors and the disks fail the post test, two fail at a time and it is never the same two.
I am stuck!
The 2DH error is 1777 it says wide transfer failed check the cables, the way I have it configured is the original controller, the 2DH controller and the backplane are all daisy chained, I no longer have the previously reported cable error now.
In the array config reporting it says although the config is wide is has only negotiated a narrow transfer, is this maybe because the disks have information on them from their previous lives?
Cheers
Simon