1752328 Members
5527 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 2500 hangs on boot.

germargo
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 2500 hangs on boot.

How I can reset system - switch #6 doesn't work, I was trying to disconnect battery - it is solder with board.
Every time I boot PC - I have an error 172 - EISA Config. Nonvolative memory invalid. and 162 - Option not set.
Even disconnecting expansion board (PCI) and power from Drive Cage (Hot-pluggable), PC not available to boot from CD or floppy.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

How old may your PL2500 be? 8 years? The onboard battery maybe completely dead.

I guess you have to replace the onboard battery.

So if you have a soldering iron, use it
(Be careful)
germargo
Occasional Advisor

Good point, thank you.
But, usually, if battery goes dead, PC lost BIOS setting, but this one - trying to look on not existing board and drives, not trying to boot from CD or floppy - just hangs.
germargo
Occasional Advisor

So I check battery - has a 3 volt.
Manually disconnect battery and reconnect back - no changes, just halted.
germargo
Occasional Advisor

So, any other suggestions?
PC still hangs shortly after boot, don't have a option to reset/edit BIOS (trying to hold any keyboard key - Esc, F1, F2,... F10, F11), can't boot from floppy or/and CD.
What's weird - build-in display show proper hardware information (amount of memory, processor, e.i.), but on monitor - just couple of error messages lines and "System Halted".
Disconnecting HD Cage and without any PCI/ISA card, just build-in boards for VGA, NIC, serial and printer ports...
Any new ideas?

Thank you.
olivier_17
Occasional Advisor

Check if you can boot on floppy disk and try to reflash the bios.
If the system can t boot on fdd, there is a special switch combination that can FORCE a bios update from a floppy, but you will have to ask this to Compaq, because i don t remember the exact combination, i used this on a plt 6500 a few years ago ...

olivier
germargo
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for suggestion.
Re:
"Check if you can boot on floppy disk and try to re-flash the bios."
Currently, I don't have a option to boot from floppy or CD. I was trying to connect two other floppy drives, CD Rom - no luck.
Re:
"If the system can t boot on fdd, there is a special switch combination that can FORCE a bios update from a floppy, but you will have to ask this to Compaq..."
I was trying to do so, trying different combination on the switch - without knowledge of actual combination. Going to try play some more...
Any suggestion appreciated.
germargo
Occasional Advisor

Finally, I got it.
Just after disconnect 3-rd party SCSI card, and temporary hooking up spare hard-drive, I was able to boot from floppy (and CD), re-flashing BIOS and rebuild array.
Thank you every one for support.