108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 2500 video upgrade.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Reischl
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 2500 video upgrade.

I was wondering if upgrading the onboard video to a PCI slot video card would give a performance boost to the system?

Thanks,

Eric
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Integrated controller is Cirrus Logic CL-54M30 Specifications
Chipset CL-54M30 (333MHz In-Chassis Upgrade Systems) with Video Memory
Standard 1-MB
Optional N/A
since you want to update then
to diable the onbard video then make 1 switch = on under sw1.

where as server is coming with 2 pci slots.

regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Eric Reischl
Occasional Advisor

So if I installed a 64bit 32mb video card I would gain a performance boost because of the lack of memory with the onboard?

Also would it matter if I installed it on the primary or secondary PCI bus? I have the Array controller on the Primary and dont know if it would cause conflicts with each other.

Thanks for yoru time,

Eric
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well Eric, you recall correctly...that's the way we used to boost performance on those older PCs with onboard video...just pop in a card with all the hardware and memory needed and disable the onboard. It won't be much...but you are correct.

As regards the slot selection you answered your own question. Throw it in the second slot and by the way, the set up is undoubtedly flexible enough to where it will select settings that do not conflict with existing, detected hardware.

You did not mention your OS but regardless...when done installing, check your work and look for conflicts...if you find none...perfect. You get a gold star.
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Eric Reischl
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help.

Eric
Jaap-Willem Dooge

Hi, i have a question.
What switch do i have to change on my system board? Running under Windows 98se, the picture i see on my monitor is just very strange. Looks like damaged video memory. New drivers won't help...

Thank you!