ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748111 Members
3896 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant 2500R and Windows 2000 or 2003 (W2K or W2K3)

Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Proliant 2500R and Windows 2000 or 2003 (W2K or W2K3)

I have been given a Proliant 2500R (dual Pentium Pro 200 MHz) server and I am trying to install Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 (preferable).

I setup the server using SmartStart 5.50 CD, then installed W2K3 and then installed the support software from the Smartstart CD.

Problem is that only one CPU is being detected by the OS, i.e. in task manager only 1 CPU is being shown. Also the network teaming software does not install properly. The NIC’s are working ok (Netelligent 10/100 TX) but I want to team two NIC’s up to give 2x 100MB. If I dbl click on the icon on the task bar it comes up with an error. I have a similar problem with W2K

Also the firmware CD 7.30 claims it supports Proliant 2500 – but it does not even bootupfully – it boots up and the white dots appear for about 2 or 3 lines and the system freezes.

Any help would be really appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

An update â I have run the diagnostics from the system partition and also tried ones I downloaded from HPâ s web site. The server passes all the tress. Both processors are testing ok. One thing I noticed is that CPU 2 is being reported as Primary â does this have any significance?

During post â both processors are initialised ok.

Does anyone have any ideas why W2K3 is only seeing one CPU?

On the Network Teaming side â I found that the â Network Configuration Utility V7.50â had a bug and the file â CPQTEAM.DLLâ was not renamed properly. But in my case the file appears to be installed correctly in the system32 folder.

I have tried to find a copy of â Network Configuration Utilityâ that is previous to V7.50 for Windows 2003 â but have not been able to find it. I can not install version V7.60 or above as support for the Netflex support was dropped.

Can anyone help with a link to any version previous to V7.50 for Windows 2003.

Many thanks for any help.
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Update 2

I have now managed to fix the Network Teaming problem. In case it helps anyone else, the problem seems to be with the registry and some versions of Teaming software.

I uninstalled the teaming SW (in properties of the NIC you can select the Teaming service and uninstall it) â then reinstall the latest drivers for the Netelligient NIC (currently V5.0.1.22 C). Removed any reference in the registry to CPQTEAM or TEAM and then reinstalled the last supported Teaming software (currently V7.50.0.0 B).

The problem with the CPU still remains. I hope someone can help with it â pretty please.
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

W2K3 does not support multiple processors with the following

x86 Family 6 Model 1 Stepping X GenuineIntel (where X = 1, 2, 6, 7, or 9)•x86 Family 6 Model 3 Stepping X GenuineIntel (where X = 3 or 4)

Either downgrade or run with a single CPU. Doh!!!