108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 - Drive Array Configurations Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

Proliant 3000 - Drive Array Configurations Problem

I'm trying to set up my Proliant 3000 with a single 18.2 gig HD (supposedly wiped clean, but no way of knowing). The previous drives were removed before I got my hands on it, hence the following;

"Slot 2 Compaq SMART-2DH Array Controller (rev C, v2.08) 0 Logical Drives
1785-Slot 2 Drive Array Not Configured
Drive positions appear to have been changed.
Run Drive Array Advanced Diagnostics if previous positions are unknown.
Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions.

Scanning for SCSI Devices... No SCSI Devices Detected

Press "F1" key to continue
"f10" key for System Partition Utilities"

[Even if I knew the original drive positions, I don't have the drives available to reinsert them...]

I've tried inserting SmartStart 5.5 CD, and even a floppy disk that I made using a utility from SS 5.5.
It doesn't matter whether I press F1 or F10 since both give me two POST error beeps and a;

"Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Is the machine even reading my CD or floppy disks? How can I tell?
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sean:

It looks like the server is not even reading your CD-ROM or Floppy.

You can try booting the server without the hdd in it and see if the cd-rom boots up. If so, you should be able to then place the hdd back in and wait a few minutes for the array to recognize it.

More than likely, the system Partition utilites were ON the original HDD so they are not available anymore.

Is there an option to enter the Smart Array Utility during post? If so, go in and delete any existing arrays. That should let the system see there is no bootable hdd and pass on to the cd-rom.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

Without the HD in place, it says;

"Slot 2 Compaq SMART-2DH Array Controller (rev C, v2.08) 0 Logical Drives
No Drives Detected

Press "F1" key to continue
"f10" key for System Partition Utilities"

Is there a jumper inside I can use to reset the CMOS or something?
Plamen Radev
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Sean:

As I understand you are starting a new system with one HDD.
You can use Compaq/HP System Erase utility (make a bootable System Erase floppy from your SmartStart).
The System Erase will bring your ProLiant 3000 to the factory default configuration. You can then install the system booting from the SmartStart CD and performing an automatic/guided installation.
Make sure first your CD is working (may need cleaning).

Plamen
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sean:

Did you press f1 (when you didn't have the drive in the server) to see if it would boot from the cd? What was the outcome?

Have you tried booting from the floppy with the drive out?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

If you pull the top cover off of the machine there is a document pasted to it's underside. Look at the jumper settings. As I recall there is one which resets the system. Good Luck. I have sold mine and I miss it. They run great and make an excellent file sharing server.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It doesn't appear the drive has actually been wiped clean, since the controller is seeing some kind of configuration on it.

I would agree with Plamen and run the erase utility from either Smart Start or floppy. Since it won't boot from either yet, I'd recommend attempting to clear NVRAM using switch #6 in the maintenance switch bank. This should reset everything to the default config and should bring it back to the standard boot order or floppy, cd, hard drive.

I would also recommend flashing the firmware on the 2/DH. The firmware on this controller must be 7-8 years old.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

The following, logs my attempts to rectify the problem, in the order in which they were tried. It is probably unecessary to read it all (unless you're interested), but my final problem is detailed in the second-to-last paragraph.

1) Without the HD in the machine, when I press F1 I still get an invalid system disk error, even though both the CDROM and floppy drive lights come on for a second or two.

2) When I opened the top cover, and moved the switch no. 6 and back and restarted the server, I got the same messages as before.

When I opened the top cover, and moved the switch no. 6, left it in that position and restarted the server I got the messages below;

"172-EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid
Initialisation Aborted
1615-Power Supply Failure in Bay 1

Slot 2 Compaq SMART-2DH Array Controller (rev C, v2.08) 0 Logical Drives
Drive positions appear to have been changed.
Run Drive Array Advanced Diagnostics if previous positions are unknown.
Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions.

...<>...

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Now that I've moved switch no. 6 back to where it was originally, I get the same messages as above.

3) When booting up from the Erase Utility disk, I saw a message about a missing file, but was unable to note it down quckly enough before the booting continued. When attempting to "erase everything", I am presented with a message that;
"The ASPI driver failed to load. The only non-SMART disks which will be erased are the first two disks on the primary controller (if present).

NOTE: The ASPI driver is not used to communicate with disks on the SMART controllers. All drives attached to SMART controllers will be erased."

I elected to proceed...

After following on screen prompts, I find myself being asked to insert a Server Profile Diskette into A: - I don't have any such diskette, and I don't see an option in Diskette Builder to make one...?

[By the way, sincere thanks to everyone for all the help so far; it looks like I'm nearly there!]
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

I found a server profile diskette creation utility om the compaq website. It works fine, however, SS asks me to specify an operating system and wont let me proceed without doing so. I had hoped to use a linux distribution (as yet undecided which one) - please advise.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sean:

It almost sounds as if your running though the Smart Start Assisted Process, not an erase utility.

Can you confirm? If you are running throug the Smart Start Assisted, then you will NEED to specify an OS to complete. The utility does not give you an option to "erase" the system, only build a new config.

During the very beginning, you should have been asked what you wanted to do... a Windows like screen with several icons.. one of those was, or should have been the erase utility.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE