108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 - Drive Array Configurations Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

I used the Erase Utility floppy I made with the SS disc. I read somewhere that the latter Novell versions were based on Linux (or at least at some point it was intended). If I choose to proceed with the latest Novell configuration, do you think that will work with other Linux distributions?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ok.. I was a bit confused. So your passed erasing the system and now your able to boot from the Smart Start CD?

It may work with later distro's. I am not too sure.

All this does is prepare your hdd's with files specific to the OS you choose. You may be able to set up the OS without using Smart Start at all.

I know with Windows, you can specify addition array controller drivers when installing, but unsure how it works with Linux and/or Novell.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sean Smith_7
Advisor

I found out that the solution was to select "manual" instead of "assisted" configuration. That gives me a number of different OSes to choose from including Linux. I think I'll try Debian and come back and start a new thread when I can't get it to install...

Thanks to everyone for your time and getting me through all my problems. :)
Doug Bartels

Sean--did you ever get to the bottom of this issue. If so I could use a little light shed on the subject.

I have a ProLiant 3000 with a SmartArray 2DH controller and am having a couple of issues with a couple of different distrobutions of linux.

1. I am using a distro called HostGIS wich is Slackware 10.2 but which comes without all the GUI stuff and includes all pakage libraries for MapServer. I am able to boot from the CD but I get to a point where I get the following message "Whoops! no disks found. Bailing" I am assuming it doesn't see the controllerer...ANy THoughts

2. I have tried several other distros, including a boxed version of Fedora 4, which I assumed had support in the kernel for disk controllers BUT it won't even boot. i get the nasty "Non system disk error."

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.