ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752286 Members
4643 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 Drive Set-up Problem

Knox

Proliant 3000 Drive Set-up Problem

I have a Proliant 3000 450Mhz server. My issue is that I cannot get the drives to accept any configuration changes. I've tried the Smart Start disks and a bootable floppy but no dice. No drive changes can be made. The drives are good but cannot get past the drive set-up issue to install an OS. Please Help! I really need to get his up and running.

Thx

knox
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Knox,
What is the configuration of your server?? Have you updated the system bios? Is there any Array controller in the system?? If so is the firmware uptodate?? Please post the error message you are getting.

Regards,
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Knox,

Do you mean that when you run the Array Configuration Utility and make a change it never gets saved? Does it hang a while when the splash screen appears saying "Saving Configuration"? If this is the case it could be a PCI bus initialization problem, caused by any other PCI device -but I'd start with the network card since I've seen this before with a Smart Array 3200. Remove all PCI devices except the Smart Array and try it again to see if it works. Then plug them back in again, one by one and try another change of the config.

I may be wrong but I've seen this on a few servers and in almost every case the NIC is at fault. Worth a try anyway.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Knox

Sunil & Brian,

Thanks for your help. I have been busy and not able to respond sonner but wanted to reply out of courtesy for your assistance.

I got the server up and running. I located a SmartStart CD and booted from it and was able to configure the drives. The drives are configured in a Raid 1+0 set and a Raid 5 set.

Do you happen to now how I put the system utilities back on the drives so I can use the F10 key to go into the Utilities without the CD?

knox
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Knox,
If you have configured the system already then you cannot go back and install the system partition. System partition is created automatically during Assisted Method of Smart Start setup. This is basically a 39MB partition in the begining of your hard drive.
Regards,