ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753779 Members
7725 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 3000, Enable Dual P450 in Win2k

JBowler

Proliant 3000, Enable Dual P450 in Win2k

I recently upgraded a Proliant 3000 to Win2k Server. I am having a lot of trouble enabling the second processor. I need to change the HAL but I can't locate the correct one. I have tried to change the ACPI configuration and regretted it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info/resources to enable this second processor? I would appreciate any weblink on how to do this. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

JBowler
8 REPLIES 8
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant 3000, Enable Dual P450 in Win2k

Did you put the APIC mode into Full Table?

See if this document helps: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/askkcs/abg/260_0_19687520_3077792.html
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

What's been done so far? The second proc is seen at the hardware level right? I would recommend:

Bring up device manager, expand computer tree and you'll likely see "MPS Uniprocessor PC". Bring up the properties, select to update the driver, select the option to display a list of the known drivers, and change it to MPS Multiprocessor PC.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
JBowler

I made that change through the Device Manager and had to go through the recovery procedure to undo it. I read an article by Microsoft that specifically talks about the dual processor problem with the Proliant 3000.

I will try to change the APIC mode when the office is empty this weekend.
Thanks
JBowler
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which article? I deal with this server quire alot and am unaware of this issue.

In the advanced mode in the System Configuration Utility the APIC mode should be set to full tabled. If any problems arise from using this, then full table mapped should be used.

Now I never said anything about changing the ACPI configuration. Typically what this requires is finding what the computer is currently set at (usually "MPS Uniprocessor PC") and set it to the Multiprocessor version. If it says ACPI in there somewhere then the same should apply (use the MPS version of it). I don't believe this server is going to be ACPI compliant so this will most likely not be listed.
JBowler

My apologies. The article was relating to ACPI. That is what I changed and had to recover from.

If I change the Computer in Device Manager to be Multiprocessor, will I need to reload HALs or drivers? Would the NTLoader or other files needed for startup be affected? At present the Computer is listed as Standard PC. I can see both CPUs during boot and the event viewer knows that both are not running.

Is enabling the processor as easy as changing the STANDARD PC to the Multi-processor one?
Thanks for the help and advice.
JBowler
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Yes, it is that easy. This machine should require the "MPS Multiprocessor PC" driver (or hal). No other change should be required. Once you reboot the server it should load the correct files for everything else. Any changes made within the OS itself (NTLoader or other files needed for startup) will all take place within the background.
JBowler

I will definately give this a go. I am the cautious type and I will have an intense backup session tonight.

Q: Do I need to download the HAL or will it rebuild from the CD?

Q: Is this as straight forward as it seems or is there a high risk for problems with the possibility or restoring from backup? (naturally there is always risk, but is this higher than usual?)

I plan to do this over the weekend and I will post my results. Thanks
JBowler
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

You don't have to download anything, the correct hal is already there, you just have to go in and choose it. I've done this dozens of times and it has never been disaterous.

Also, don't forget to check the APIC mode in the system utilities first.