ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753816 Members
8622 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 HDD problem....

Lee Chamberlain_1

Proliant 3000 HDD problem....

I have a Proliant 3000 PII with a Smart-2/DH and five 4.3GB (242622-001), 2 setup as raid 1 and 3 setup as raid 5. So there are 2 logical drives. Insight Manager reported one of the physical drives as failed but upon looking at the drive it's online LED was out but the activity LED was flashing when the logical drive was being accessed. I replaced it as it was being reported as failed and the new drive started rebuilding for about 30 seconds and then went into the same state as the original but now insight and ADU are saying the drive is ready to be rebuilt. Tried another drive but exactly the same thing happens so I have replaced the smart-2/DH controller the cable and the drivecage and backplane but still the problem remains. I have tried to upgrade the firmware on the drives but when I run the firmware upgrade disk it says there are no upgradable devices in the server, but I know it's the correct disk. My next step is going to be backing up the logical drive - then deleting it and creating a new one but I really don't want to have to do that. Has anybody come across this problem before?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Lee,
What is the firmware of Smart2DH?? It's not necessarily the HDDs which are bad. After you replaced the HDD just watch the activity light for some time. Normally it takes about 20/25 per gig for the rebuilding process to finish. Let's see what the firmware of the Controller first.

Regards,
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Sometimes it helps to change a setting on the smart array controller and save the changes. You can change rebuild priority or something. Other thing you can try is to remove all drives from the system and delete your raidsets and save settings. Then insert all disks again. Raid controller will read raidinfo from disks.

Leon
Thilo Knoch
Frequent Advisor

Have you tried the M&P Patch utility?
(From the SP16373.TXT file)
"DESCRIPTION: The M&P Patch Utility resets any false predictive
failure indicators and returns the drive from a falsely degraded
condition to a normal operating condition. This will also prevent
any future false predictive failure errors from occurring. ... ".

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10468.html
Lee Chamberlain_1

yes I've tried that as well. Any other ideas?