108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 3000 Hanging on boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Weis
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 3000 Hanging on boot

I've got a Proliant 3000 with 2x 450 mhz PII processors and 1 256meg dimm. I have pulled all of the cards out, but when I try to boot from smartstart, I get the splash screen of the guys in the van, and it stops. I made a system erase disk, but when I boot from that, it gets to Starting MS-DOS and then stops. I have flipped switch 6 back and forth to clear the configuration but it did nothing.

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 3000 Hanging on boot

Can you boot off the hard drive(s) in it yet?
Are they attached to the onboard scsi controller?
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Simplify the system even further. Sounds like you have a very low level problem -memory or processor.

Change the memory for known good memory. Change the slot.

Pull one of the CPUs. Then swap them.

Maybe try a video card.
Dave Weis
Occasional Advisor

The memory is known good from another functional machine. I have played processor roulette and put them in all of the combinations. I will try to find a pci video card and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Dave Weis
Occasional Advisor

This is getting strange. I have replaced the power supply, the mother board, the cd rom, the ram, the processors, and the vrm's, with no change. I pulled the smartarray card and it still hangs on booting smartstart. I did make a system erase disk and it booted fine, and I can put in a linux install CD and it boots fine, we put in the firmware update floppies and they boot fine.

I left smartstart loading all night and in the morning it said error 76 loading smart start. Does that mean anything?
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor
Solution

I had a similar issue with an ML530. It turned out to be a CD ROM drive issue.

Try a different drive, and I mean a different part number. In the case of the ML530 it would work fine with a 32X drive but would hang using the 40X that came with it from the factory. Changing the drive to another 40X did not work.
Dave Weis
Occasional Advisor

The machine had no cdrom when I purchased it, so I've tried a pair of generic drives. I will try to round up a compaq drive and use it.
Thanks
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

I have some original ProLiant 3000 CD ROM drives if you are stuck.

Please assign points to the answers you get.
Dave Weis
Occasional Advisor

It did end up being the CD rom. I had tried two working Sony drives that wouldn't load smart start, but I tried a Compaq slot load from a different 3000 and it worked fine.

I will try to figure out points. Thanks for the help!