Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 3000 Noise Issues

David Kopras
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 3000 Noise Issues

Hello,

Just a quick question on whether it is possible to reduce the noise of the server. I have it running under my table 24/7 and with all the fans etc inside, it is quite loud.

The server is currently running Debian, but would look at installing Windows if there was software to control the speed of the fans etc to reduce the noise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
4 REPLIES
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 3000 Noise Issues

Hi David

Fan speed depends on temperature inside server cabinet. On cooling, they switch over to slow speed.If Environmental temperature is lowered, you may be able to get fans running at slow speed and thus reduce the noise. Software (SIM) only monitors the functionality of fans and does not have an option to reduce the speed

Regards
Mahesh
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

David:

Mahesh is only partially correct. The ProLiant 3000 contains an Advanced Systems Management Controller that works in conjunction with an OS driver to monitor environmentals and respond. HP does not support Debian, but you can do a custom build of the health driver for unsupported Linux distros. Visit http://www.hp.com/go/proliantlinux and get the paper "Managing ProLiant Servers with Linux" and follow the custom build instructions starting on page 27.

--D
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

I sold mine to releive our home of all that noise! Follow the suggestions from others and hopefully you can kernel them quietly.
Good Luck.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This server doesn't have variable speed fans which speed up or slow down depending on the temperature. The fan noise will be the same no matter what you have installed. The only possible way of reducing the fan noise may be to removed redundant fans if those are installed.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..