ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753909 Members
8828 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 3000 Server won't power on

Patrick Linsen

Proliant 3000 Server won't power on

The Server is a Proliant 3000 with Dual PIII 550 processors, 9.1GB SCSI HDD, 512MB ECC RAM

The led on either of the power supply's shows green when the power is plugged in.

When the on/off button is depressed on the front panel nothing happens. ie. nothing, no fans power up no beeps.

Have tested the power supply's and there seems to be power there, but it is like the power supply isn't getting the signal to say it's ok to power up.

I have checked all cables are plugged in, tried with just one processor and on processor power module and swapped them around for all possible configurations.

I have tried the ram in different combinations or singularly in different slots, but now have it back in slots, 8 and 4.

I have move the HDD to different bays, it now is located in bay 0.

I have tried it with other hardware like the FDD, Tape and CD-ROM disconnected.

After all this, still nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion?

It's probably something simple, but I'm missing it.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
4 REPLIES 4
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant 3000 Server won't power on

Some Proliant 3000 models have cover switches. So if the covers are not mounted it won't power up.
Also if you switch it on, it might take a couple of seconds before it powers up.

Leon
Patrick Linsen

Leon,

Thanks for your quick response.

I did also think that and replaced all the covers, and also looked around for a switch. Unless it was a LDR (light dependant resistor) I was unable to see one, but tried it with the covers on anyway.

As it is a server I did also try waiting for a while for power on as they sometimes run hardware diag tests on power-on. Your advice is appreciated, as it probably is something simple like that, which is why it is bugging me so much.

Regards,

Patrick
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

If power supply led is green and the amber led does not even flash, check cable leading from power supply hot-plug backplane to system board "ps aux" connector - this is a data cable and must be plugged in.

Leon
Patrick Linsen

Leon,

Sorry, it does briefly flash the orange led above the green one, then the green one goes on steady. I understand about the cable as I still believe that a signal isn't being sent down the cable to tell the power supply that everything is ok, so send me the power.

Thanks again,

Patrick