108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 / Smart Array 4200 controller, newbie reinstall procedure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Soprano
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 3000 / Smart Array 4200 controller, newbie reinstall procedure

Just received a Proliant 3000 Dual P-III 500 with a SA 4200 controller. Has six 18.2's 10K.

I got this for free from my dad's company. They told me to do a low level format to delete the info off of it. I would like to put Win2K3 Server on it (have the 180day eval copy).

What do I need? I have downloaded the erase utility but it says I need to put in a SmartStart CD in. I do not have this CD. Where can I get it? Can I download an ISO of it?

I'm just trying to get into the controller to begin a low level format. I am a little familiar with the Adaptec controllers where you can press like F4 to get into a controller menu when booting up. I don't see any option to bypass into a controller menu with the Compaq controller.

Thanks! :)

3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Ed,

The SA4200 controller does not have a ROM based setup utility. If you have already run the erase, you will need the SmartStart CD to run the Array Configuration Utility.
You have to call HP to get a SmartStart CD. The last version of the SmartStart that's supported on your server is 5.5.

Check with your dad's company if they have a SmartStart lying around.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed,

Vijay is correct we cannot download iso image from web for smart start cd. But we can buy it from hp
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

OR

Alternate option is use the following link and choose the option and go ahead
http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/manual-smartstart.html

Regards,
Parhant S.
Nothing is impossible
Ed Siegner
Solution

Thank you both for the replies! I will attempt to get this working tonight!

Thanks,

Ed