1748255 Members
4101 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 - Unable to boot - Newbie to servers

David Kopras
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 3000 - Unable to boot - Newbie to servers

I have recently received a Proliant 3000 server. It has a P3-500Mhz processor and 256mb of RAM. I have removed the CD drive which came with it and replaced it with a DVD-Rom drive and a CD-RW drive. I have installed 5 x 9.1gb drives.

The problem I am having is I am unable to get the machine to boot from either the floppy drive or the either CD drive. I have a smartstart 5.5 CD, but have tried the 4 disk floppy version as well and neither will boot.

What would be causing this? I have been told that the P3's can have problems booting with multiple CD drives. Should I remove one of them first before trying to boot on the smartstart disk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Clear nvram, download manual from hp site, find jumpers set all to defaults, except one - force fdd to boot firstly by jumpers, if it won├в t boot replace fdd, you still can try disconnect cd dri
David Kopras
Occasional Contributor

I have tried to reset the nvram and also force to boot off floppy, but still unable to do so. I used to get a prompt to press either F1 or F10 just before it would try the floppy, this has now gone and it brings up an Intel boot message, and comes up with Media Failed, check cable. I have checked the cable to the floppy drive and appears fine. The floppy drive light does appear when trying to boot, but doesn't matter what disk I try, it doesn't work.

Is there anything else I can try? I don't have another floppy drive I can try and haven't tried unplugging one of the CD drives as yet.

Cheers
Elio FLORIO
Advisor

Easy way:
Reinstall original CD-ROM atapi on the machine with original jumper.
You buy a IDEata100 pci adapter CMD06xx
(chiper)
REMOVE on the new PCI-IDE card the BIOS CHIP (it is pluggable)
Plug in card in the server (CDR master on Primary - DVD master on the secondary , nothing slave).
Install the driver and enable udma mode too.
This is the only way to see a dvd and mastering without error from OS and configure the server by reboot.